bnsf scenic sub

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
stevens pass rail traffic

Good morning,

Would someone be so kind as to explain where the railtraffic is going over the Stevens Pass and what the railroute is? I ma interested in the Stevens Pass
area as I have read about Mr. Stevens past work involving the Panama Canal.
If any one can direct me to any photos on the forum for same I would be in their debt.

Thanks much in advance

Good morning,

Would someone be so kind as to explain where the railtraffic is going over the Stevens Pass and what the railroute is? I ma interested in the Stevens Pass
area as I have read about Mr. Stevens past work involving the Panama Canal.
If any one can direct me to any photos on the forum for same I would be in their debt.

Thanks much in advance
The traffic is basically Puget Sound to Spokane and points east mostly across Montana. It is often referred to as the Northern Transcon. It was originally a Great Northern route, became BN in 1970 and BNSF about 1996.

You can go to the Gallery on this site and search on "Stevens Pass".

You can also go to www.railpictures.net and search on "Stevens Pass".

Good luck.

Stevens Pass

Thanks for the help, Is this line the one that passes through the Gaynor tunnel? I assumed that with the talk of relaying track and road bed in the middle of the 1990's on the forum here ment that they were relaying track through the old Cascade Tunnel?, or did I miss something simple as I took the statement of hauling cars over the pass to mean the reuse of the switchbacks and old tunnel to reduce traffic congestion through the new Cascade Tunnel.

Thanks much in advance

Gaynor Tunnel is on the east side of the Stevens Pass route, in use today.

Old Cascade Tunnel is actually collapsing; no tracks will be laid there or over the switchbacks. I suspect that if traffic on Stevens grows to the point the current route can't handle it, Stampede will pick up the slack.

In the 90's there was talk about relaying the Milwaukee over Snoqualmie Pass, which never happened. You may have heard of that.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.