BNSF Boeing local hits truck

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ES44AC

What is your malfunction?
We were at the milepost setout tracks waiting for the Boeing job to depart Bayside so we could go through Bayside and head north to the Bellingham sub.
We heard it all on the radio from the beginning when the engineer called the DS on the radio saying he hit a truck at the Kimberly Clark crossing then he requested for the trainmaster(s), fire dept, police, ambulance, etc.
So, our route through Bayside is as you can see, luckily we got the C-line and the Rogers main but it's a pain in the ass to get through that route and it's a bit longer, gotta deal with the DS up to PA junction, then the Delta yardmaster to get into ABS between PA Junction (C-line and the Rogers main)and bridge 37.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
It's amazing how many of those truck drivers act like they own the road. Down in the Port of Tacoma they routinely run red lights without even slowing down. I don't know why the State Patrol doesn't head down there, they could make a mint.

These guys cut in front of people, run stop signs, ignore lights, block intersections and generally pull all kinds of stupid manuevers. Usually the "other guy" is driving a compact car, so the trucker wins by intimidation. But occasionally the shoe is on the other foot...

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
It's amazing how many of those truck drivers act like they own the road. Down in the Port of Tacoma they routinely run red lights without even slowing down. I don't know why the State Patrol doesn't head down there, they could make a mint.

These guys cut in front of people, run stop signs, ignore lights, block intersections and generally pull all kinds of stupid manuevers. Usually the "other guy" is driving a compact car, so the trucker wins by intimidation. But occasionally the shoe is on the other foot...
Now we can't just blame the truck driver. The security guard, who has a nice view to the south, is in control of the gate. We are supposed to blow the horn at the crossing 300 yards north of there and when I last ran through there we blew for Kimberly Clark, also. Now I don't know if we still do but, come on guys, the speed limit for trains is only 10 MPH (2 engines and 2 cars which included the caboose) and its not too hard to see a truck coming down the hill toward the crossing AND the guard SHOULD have heard the train blowing its horn a short ways back up the track at the other crossing. In addition, an engineer can see if the gates are going up to your right if you are heading south prior to getting there unless they were distracted OR they were not down to begin with. This is a local with a caboose so there is no telling if both the brakeman and the conductor were in the caboose at the time of the accident going over their switching plans and the engineer was by himself or everyone was in the engine's cab. Alot of details that have yet to be released, if they ever will be, are left out of both news casts.

Now we can't just blame the truck driver. The security guard, who has a nice view to the south, is in control of the gate. We are supposed to blow the horn at the crossing 300 yards north of there and when I last ran through there we blew for Kimberly Clark, also. Now I don't know if we still do but, come on guys, the speed limit for trains is only 10 MPH (2 engines and 2 cars which included the caboose) and its not too hard to see a truck coming down the hill toward the crossing AND the guard SHOULD have heard the train blowing its horn a short ways back up the track at the other crossing. In addition, an engineer can see if the gates are going up to your right if you are heading south prior to getting there unless they were distracted OR they were not down to begin with. This is a local with a caboose so there is no telling if both the brakeman and the conductor were in the caboose at the time of the accident going over their switching plans and the engineer was by himself or everyone was in the engine's cab. Alot of details that have yet to be released, if they ever will be, are left out of both news casts.
Great post and thanks for the info.

Bob, its drivers in general. I can replace the word truckdriver in your post with just driver and its still just as true and valid. Everyone seems to be a bit to relaxed about driving these days. Granted it is easy to justify holding truck drivers to a higher standard because of the increased size and severity of accidents that do occur. At the end of the day, they are humans too.

ES44AC

At the crossings, the driver(s) should look both ways to see if there is any trains coming weather if it has crossing gates or not, mainline, branchline, etc.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
BNSFEng, you're right, we don't know if it was the truck driver's fault.

However, as ES44 points out, it would be reasonable to look both directions before pulling onto the tracks. Whether or not the train could have stopped short doesn't really affect who's at fault. It's not the train's responsibility to stop for stray vehicles, it's up to the drivers to be sure it's safe to cross the tracks. Granted, if the train can stop, they should, but if they can't that wouldn't mean they were at fault, unless there was some other factor, like exceeding the speed limit at that location or not sounding the whistle etc.

Maybe this location has limited visibility though, I don't know...

Last edited:

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
Great post and thanks for the info.

Bob, its drivers in general. I can replace the word truckdriver in your post with just driver and its still just as true and valid. Everyone seems to be a bit to relaxed about driving these days. Granted it is easy to justify holding truck drivers to a higher standard because of the increased size and severity of accidents that do occur. At the end of the day, they are humans too.
Drivers in general are getting more and more casual, as you suggest. Driving while on the cell phone, texting, eating and drinking coffee, etc etc.

However, there's a certain class of truck drivers (not all of them, just a select group) who run around the Port that are extremely dangerous. They literally run red lights on a regular basis. I'm not talking about racing a yellow and not quite getting through, I'm talking about driving up to a light that's already red, saying "screw it" and just driving right on through. I see it all the time.

They get paid by the load, not by the hour, and so they do anything and everything they can to get there as quickly as possible. If you get in the way, well that's just too bad...

Again, this is just a certain group, not every trucker. But the attitude of "I own the road" is pretty prevelant among the short haul guys.

A certain large paving company here in Seattle is also known for having dump truck drivers who push the limit quite often. It's not uncommon to see one of their trucks in an accident.

Some companies have a culture of safety, others are more worried about speed.

ES44AC

I have gone over that crossing many times and the gates at that crossing are for pedestrians, the guard had dropped the gates when I did sound the horn to go through the crossing, track speed I believe is 10mph since it's yard tracks.
Visibility isn't that bad at all for the driver.

I have gone over that crossing many times and the gates at that crossing are for pedestrians, the guard had dropped the gates when I did sound the horn to go through the crossing, track speed I believe is 10mph since it's yard tracks.
Visibility isn't that bad at all for the driver.
I was up there friday morning waiting on the PASVBT and the gates where down even with out a train comming so maybe some one desided to leave them down all the time now( good idea i think)

and i guess the truck was carrying bark or hog fuel since it was dumped all over the parking lot still

BNSFEng

Locomotive Engineer!!!
BNSFEng, you're right, we don't know if it was the truck driver's fault. ...
Maybe this location has limited visibility though, I don't know...
Extremely limited looking to the right since the security building is almost right up to the tracks on the driver's right and its a bit more than just one story high. Take a look at some of the pictures on the Komo 4 web site an you can see the building.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.