BNSF Bayard Local Neola, Iowa 1/26/2010

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Followed the BNSF Bayard Local today north from Council Bluffs on the old Milwaukee road.

1. Crossing 16th Ave near the Rock Island Station

2. Getting ready to head north. Warbonnet for the 3rd unit.

3. South of Underwood hitting a small drift

4. Entering Neola and a self made white out.

Thanks

Thanks Allan.

Interesting rumors. IAIS would be OK with me. There always seemed to have been a lot of cars hauled up towards Bayard. Maybe they are suffering from the downturn also. Train today just went to Portsmouth and then back to CB.
I liked it when the BN ran SD9s on that line.

With the ethonal plant at Coon Rapids and FC at Bayard , I would highly dought BNSF is going to sell this line, this has been the first I have heard anything about it. As far as I know the BNSF is keeping the line....Nice shots. I really would like to get the local.

Thanks Allan.

Interesting rumors. IAIS would be OK with me. There always seemed to have been a lot of cars hauled up towards Bayard. Maybe they are suffering from the downturn also. Train today just went to Portsmouth and then back to CB.
I liked it when the BN ran SD9s on that line.
I do believe this line was also the former Milwaukee Road that went into Des Moines at one time or another. Just north of Neola, that line branched off and went northeast towards Shelby, Ia, then east into Harlan.

There is a BN caboose and shanty that sits in the middle of Shelby. If you go northeast of Shelby, I don't remember the name of the county road to get to it, there is a hiking trail that follows the ROW, and remnants of an old bridge that still exists.

The line that used to run NE out of Shelby was the Chicago Great Western. The Milw ran north of Des Moines thru Perry IA. I think there was a branch into Des Moines. Prior to 1952 the Rock Island ran thru Neola and turned east and went thru or south of Shelby towards Atlantic. If you drive along Hwy 191 you can see the old RI grade between the highway and the MILW. TZ

If you drive along Hwy 191 you can see the old RI grade between the highway and the MILW. TZ
There is also a bridge structure out in the middle of a field just east of 191, northwest of Atlantic, heading towards Elk Horn Ia. There are also pockets of old RI grades between Atlantic and Avoca.

Prior to 1952 the Rock Island ran thru Neola and turned east and went thru or south of Shelby towards Atlantic. If you drive along Hwy 191 you can see the old RI grade between the highway and the MILW. TZ
My 1936 map shows the RI going this way: C.B, Underwood, Neola(over the Milw) , Minden(crossing the CGW) , Shelby, Avoca, Atlantic. From Atlantic there is a RI branch to Elkhorn and Kimbalton, and then another branch to Exira and Audubon, which is now a dandy bike trail. From Avoca there is a branch south to Oakland, through Hancock, where the "new" line is) and maybe all the way to Hastings(it gets confused with the CBQ).

I am amazed how many bridge pilings, and fills and road bed is still visible after almost 60 years. Although I SWEAR, that the RI track was still there along HWY 191 in the 60's.

Hard to realize that the original Milw mainline exists between C.B and Bayard. Too bad the WYE (west leg to Sioux City) at Manilla is gone.
I had always hoped that the BN would have run the 261 up that way for an excursion.

There is also a bridge structure out in the middle of a field just east of 191, northwest of Atlantic, heading towards Elk Horn Ia. There are also pockets of old RI grades between Atlantic and Avoca.
Rich,
Here is the old map. You might also be interested to see how much railroad the CBQ had.
I tried to keep this in focus and get it below 200KB. If any of you have trouble reading this I could email the 1.57MB scan. It's pretty interesting seeing where all the lines went.

nordique72

Displaced CNW Fan
The ex-Rock Island route that ran via Underwood along 191 was abandoned in pieces from 1953 (when the Atlantic Cutoff opened) until the mid 60s. This can be seen in detail in the Rock Island's Official Guide maps from this time- the last remaining segment was a small piece over to Avoca that was accessed off the branch that ran via Hancock (the connection still exists and is used by the IAIS today to reach a customer in Hancock on the old branch).
The RI crossed the Milwaukee Road at grade in Neola on the south side of town, in fact a small piece of the old RI is still in and used as the co-op industry track there. On the east side of Neola the RI shot up the bluff on an impressive fill, which still partly exists and is visible from I-80. At Minden the RI vaulted over the highway and CGW- the wingwalls of the long since razed RI grade were still there in 2003 when I last was there. There are a few other spots along I-80 where remnants of the old RI grade hopscotch across the interstate ROW- but many are hard to see in any season except winter.

As for the old MILW main line- when I still lived in Omaha that was one of my favorite lines to railfan. Back when the track was mostly 10 MPH it was an easy chase- at least until you ran out of sunlight (usually around Manning or Templeton). As for the BNSF selling it I highly doubt it- they went as far to officially purchase it six years ago from the Shippers Consortium- who had owned it since 1984. They put in a lot of money in ties and rail to get the line up to 30-40 MPH track speeds- add in the customers at Portsmouth (54 car grain loadout), Manilla (54 car loadout), Aspinwall (27 car loadout), Templeton (108 car "Super Train" loadout), Manning (Soybean Crusher plant), Persia (fertilizer co-op), Coon Rapids (ethanol plant) and Bayard (108 car "Super Train" loadout) it becomes even more unlikely.
Back in 2001 I had the fun of chasing a 150 car local on this line from Council Bluffs to Manilla- good times... someday I'd like to get back up there and see it again!

MoPac1978

Long live Jenks blue.
RI cut-off

When the Rock Island built their Atlantic cut-off, they used trackage rights over the CGW east out of Council Bluffs to get to their new line at a new junction called Peter, just northeast of McClelland. After the new line was opened, the Rock abandoned their original line from Council Bluffs through Neola to Shelby, and also abandoned from Walnut on east to Atlantic in 1953. This left a segment from Shelby east to Walnut in place, forming a t-shaped branch with the Hancock-Harlan segment.

In 1960, the Rock abandoned from Avoca north to Harlan, and in 1968 they abandoned the Shelby-Walnut segment of the old main line, leaving Hancock to Avoca which was abandoned in 1979.

After the CNW took over the Great Weedy, the line from Harlan SW into Council Bluffs was deemed redundant, so they abandoned Harlan to Peter in 1971 and sold the Peter to Council Bluffs segment to the Rock, ending the trackage rights situation for the Rock.

There is also a short segment of the Rock r/w from Shelby east that is paved as a hiking / bike trail.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com