Bnsf 9647 one of a kind paint

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
BNSF 9647 is a SD70MAC which wears a unique paint scheme apparently considered for BNSF before they settled on the various versions of orange. I believe that 9647 is the only unit wearing this blue and silver color scheme. It is based somewhat on the Santa Fe warbonnet, at least the nose of the unit. Like it or hate it, it is unique. The paint is getting a little worn after about 15 years.

9647 has been recently running in a northern tier grain pool. I managed to catch it today on an eastbound empty grain train after fueling at Hauser yard.

I drove like a madman from Rathdrum to Ramsey and managed to get there even with the train.

1-2) At Rathdrum Idaho
3-4) At Ramsey Idaho

View attachment 112479 View attachment 112480 View attachment 112481 View attachment 112482

BNSF 9647 is a SD70MAC which wears a unique paint scheme apparently considered for BNSF before they settled on the various versions of orange. I believe that 9647 is the only unit wearing this blue and silver color scheme. It is based somewhat on the Santa Fe warbonnet, at least the nose of the unit. Like it or hate it, it is unique. The paint is getting a little worn after about 15 years.
BNSF #9647 was delivered new from the factory in this paint scheme. It was meant to commemorate the merger of BN and ATSF and was never intended to be a corporate image. The colors are cream and dark green which are slightly different shades of the colors which BN used on its SD70MAC's and Executive fleet equipment, not silver and blue. The Warbonnet design is ofcourse from the ATSF side. Mix the BN colors and ATSF design and this is what you get.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

Man, that's one ugly paint scheme! The left-justified typeface on the carbody makes it infinitely worse. To me, that commemorates the injustice of the disappearance of the mighty BN! It was truly a noteworthy railroad in its 25-year existence.

Cliffs

Fallbridge Sub MP 118.6
A little variety is good. Even though we don't have the War Bonnet Bulge on this one, the cream colored scheme breaks the Pumpkin Monotony. These two units were the DPUs on an eastbound empty coaler, with only the 9853 operating.

Last edited by a moderator:
My little boy loves this engine. I ran it on a loaded coal train on Thanksgiving day in 2006 on the KCS. Ran just like any other BN MAC does. My son says the white cigar band looks like a smiley face.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.