Bellevue, NE venture

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
Okay, so here's my scoop. I was heading down to Bellevue to see some family. While traversing Kennedy Freeway, I noticed OMAX heading south at a sluggish pace. Continuing south on Fort Crook, I noticed a NB grain stopped at the crossover just north of Cornhusker. Remembering the OMAX train, I figured the NB was waiting for OMAX to pass. (I'm a rookie at this and do not own a scanner or have good connections with people so I play everything by sight.) So I decide to wait a few minutes and see what happens. Sure enough, the SB signal light turned green and I knew that we were in business. I wait no more than 5 minutes and here she comes...

It's my first ever video, and so here are my excuses why it is not the greatest one you will ever see:

#1) I have a digital camera that I use, not a video camera.

#2) I lack a tripod, therefore the camera sways.

#3) Due to the lack of time, I could not wait for the NB to move. I had a Final in my Differential Equations class the next day.

#4) I'm a rookie and don't really understand the angles and good spots for viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVCiErPtnr4

Hope you enjoy, and any tips of comments would be appreciated!

papio

Not bad considering no tripod or movie camera. As a matter of fact, it's a much better video than a number of youtube videos where the camera is wildly swung to and fro in attempts to pan; the zoom constantly changed from close-up to zoomed out; and the more than occasional shot of the ground or the sky!

I agree with Ed. Steadier than most. Good color. Keep it up. Also it has been my experience with the southbound OMAX trains that once they are moving past Giles Rd or Chandler they are going to Ne City. They usually get a crew at the south end of south omaha and then they go. Most of the trains on the Falls City Sub of the UP are Northbound so they try to sneak the coal in there when things clear up. Tom

I find my self in the same situation,so i try and find a stick or something to rest the camera on.I agree with the others,..nice video,keep it up....PS,don't to much drink to much coffee,it can ruin steady shots.

Is Good

No need to apologize Nathan, it's a good video. We do expect the next one to be PERFECT, though ;).

Just getting something moving on that line is good luck. I seem to just miss trains or they are stopped with no crew.

akprodr

Yeah, the video is fine. Professional? No. But as others noted, better than a lot of stuff on youtube.

The only thing I'd suggest is to do a little editing. It was about 15 seconds before we saw the train--without anything to focus on, you notice the bounciness much more.

njurgensen

Railfanning Meteorologist
A little editing, got it. You're right Andy, after I watched it again I thought that it might need some narration or a title screen. Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot. Hopefully there's more where that came from. I'm just fortunate to have gone down to Bellevue at the right time!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.