Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum - 11/26/11

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
On Saturday, I took Kristin and Katrina up to Baltimore to visit the B&O Railroad Museum and the National Aquarium. We decided to forgo driving into Baltimore and instead take the Maryland Transit Administration light rail up from Glen Burnie.

Katrina was enjoying the ride up to Baltimore.

Commuting Cutie by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

The museum was amazing. If you've never been and you live in the region, I definitely recommend checking it out. Here are some photo highlights.

Central Railroad of New Jersey 592 Atlantic (4-4-2) Camelback.

Central Railroad of New Jersey 592 by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

My ladies hamming it up on the short museum excursion.

Silly! by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

BOMX SW7 #1200 prepares to shove another excursion train from the museum.

B&O Railroad Museum 1200 by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

An SW1, formerly of the Pere Marquette Railway on display. This unit is still operational.

Pere Marquette 11 by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

A former Illinois Central reefer.

MDT 13715 by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

The nose of B&O GP40 #3684

B&O by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

The former North Car Shop had some of my favorite display pieces.

Originally built as a standard Pacific (4-6-2), Chesapeake & Ohio #490 was rebuilt post-WWII into a streamlined Hudson (4-6-4).

Industrial Meets Art Deco by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

More shots of 490.

Driving Me Crazy by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

Sexy In Stainless by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

This former Baltimore & Ohio observation car harkens back to the days when passenger railroading in the US had a touch more class than it does now.

The Original Capital Limited by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

B&O 2-8-2 Mikado #4500.

B&O 4500 by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

The imposing front view of C&O 2-6-6-6 Allegheny #1604. Alleghenies have the distinction of being the heaviest steam locomotives ever built in the United States (778,000lbs). They also have the highest horsepower rating (7,500 @40MPH) of any steam locomotive (even higher than that of the Union Pacific Big Boys).

Big Steam by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

After finishing up at the museum, we stopped for lunch along the way to the National Aquarium. The aquarium was nice, but on a Saturday afternoon there was way too many people for my liking so after only about 45 minutes there we headed back to the Convention Center light rail stop to wait for a southbound train back to Glen Burnie.

While waiting, I snapped a photo of this northbound LRV pulling into the stop.

Maryland Transit Administration LRV by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

After arriving back in Glen Burnie, I just had to snap a shot of this 44 tonner sitting outside the MTA maintenance facility.

Maryland Transit Administration 805 by VirginiaSouthern, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and if you want to see a few more photos I have them up on my blog.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
I've always thought of the B&O as the premier museum on the east coast. I enjoyed my one visit there. Good stuff VS.
Thanks Sam! It is a spectacular museum with a great collection. It's certainly one of the best ones I've been to on the east coast.

It's been many years since I've been to the PA Railroad Museum so it is hard for me to make a comparison between it and the B&O. I'm also not sure how it stacks up against Steamtown since I have not been there yet.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.122896,-76.796258
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com