Australian Freight trains and locomotives

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

SAB

hey all, just joined from Melbourne, Australia, here's a few pics of some diesel locos and freight trains we have downunder :) I've always been into trains, especially freight, so here's what we have here. Enjoy!

Terrific shots - thanks for posting. I like Aussie railroading. Very similar to North American practice. Gotta love those 'Bulldogs'.

Trackside

Plays Well With Others
Agreed cool photo's. If I can ask, did you take these photo's, or are they ones you like? I only ask because I noticed one looks like it was taken off of Railpictures.net which can be a sign of a copyright violation.

Please advise - thanks!

Nice set of photos. You have some pretty odd looking engines down there, but some remind me of the 1st generation diesels in the states.

jmt

Agreed cool photo's. If I can ask, did you take these photo's, or are they ones you like? I only ask because I noticed one looks like it was taken off of Railpictures.net which can be a sign of a copyright violation.

Please advise - thanks!
I concur

These photos span a period of over 30 years, and cover the entire continent

If this site was managed like Skyscrapercity the moderators would have smelt a rat, and the photos would have been promptly taken down

Are there any moderators out there?

JMT - Thanks for pointing this out. In our site owner's defense, I think you need to remember that most of us are not remotely familiar with Australian railroads. You have to trust that someone will post their own material here. If these photos are other people's work it would be best to send the moderators a PM and they will follow through accordingly.

Rod Williams

Retired throttle jockey
JMT - Thanks for pointing this out. In our site owner's defense, I think you need to remember that most of us are not remotely familiar with Australian railroads. You have to trust that someone will post their own material here. If these photos are other people's work it would be best to send the moderators a PM and they will follow through accordingly.
The fourth shot down "Q4004" belongs to Phil Melling and is Railpictures.net Photo ID: 358881
Phil lives and shoots mostly in Western Australia. Tracking his shot was easy. Second from the bottom is RP.net Photo ID: 278218 and belongs to Chris Nuthall. So it seems that this collection is indeed the work of other people.
Rest assured that anything you find here https://picasaweb.google.com/114448866225556610775
was taken by me.

Well I like them. I have to look now as I have a couple of boxes of Aussie railroad slides I have not even looked at yet. Humm, I'm sure there are some old ones in there as well.

Rod Williams

Retired throttle jockey
They are crew cars. The trains carry an extra crew. In some cases the trains run through extremely remote areas with no towns or settlements of any note and people simply will not or can not live there. The other reason that it pays to have them with the train is that when things do go awry in the middle of nowhere the relief crew is right there and the crew coming off duty have a bed to sleep in and a kitchen to prepare meals. Mishaps and derailments can see these guys stuck out in the desert for days.
It is called relay working and takes place between Adelaide/PortAugusta/Perth and Darwin.

They are crew cars. The trains carry an extra crew. In some cases the trains run through extremely remote areas with no towns or settlements of any note and people simply will not or can not live there. The other reason that it pays to have them with the train is that when things do go awry in the middle of nowhere the relief crew is right there and the crew coming off duty have a bed to sleep in and a kitchen to prepare meals. Mishaps and derailments can see these guys stuck out in the desert for days.
It is called relay working and takes place between Adelaide/PortAugusta/Perth and Darwin.
it's nice to have people who actually know what they're talking about on these forums.

sometimes i'm too sarcastic for my own good. i've gotten kicked out of too many forums that way.

Rod Williams

Retired throttle jockey

Please advise - thanks!
They are pilfered. See my other post in this thread.

yeah, but it's opposite in Australia. Copyright infringement is where original content creators have control of their copyrighted materials. Lawful use of copyright is where the original content creators spew their wares all over the place.

i really want to go to Australia some day, and see if all the upside-down backwards things are true. and i want to see some trains.

Thanks that's what I was thinking but no one I asked seemed to now. I wouldn't be surprised if the two major railroads on the west coast of the US tried to pitch that to the unions as a good idea.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com