Amtrak Cascade Derailment at Dupont, WA

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bill Anderson

My wife is listening to the radio and just told me that an Amtrak train left the tracks near Dupont and went on to adjacent I-5. This is the line that runs past Ft. Lewis and was recently upgraded to 70mph Sounder and Amtrak service. Passenger service on the line just started this morning (12/18).
http://www.king5.com/article/news/local/new-amtrak-cascades-route-starts-monday/281-500155673

I'll provide updates as they roll in. It looks as though this was the very first regularly scheduled Amtrak train to use the upgraded line. For those of us who live in the area, the train jumped the tracks at an overpass to I-5 near Mounts Rd.

http://www.king5.com/article/traffic/amtrak-train-derails-onto-i-5-near-lacey/281-500303305

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the updates. Tragic story and event. Was rolling about 75-80 MPH?

Twitter - Amtrak‏ Verified account @Amtrak

Individuals with questions about their friends and family on train 501 should call 800-523-9101

z6tMl5M.jpg

Twitter - Amtrak‏ Verified account @Amtrak

Individuals with questions about their friends and family on train 501 should call 800-523-9101

Wanted to clarify something about the Amtrak train. The news says stuff like "An Amtrak passenger train on its inaugural trip on a new service route"... They forgot one important word "first PUBLIC trip" They've been running test trains on this route for months. They've spent the last month or so qualifying the engineers on the line. They go out and are trained and tested before they're allowed to operate a revenue trip. It's not like they say "Here's a map Bill, head south along 5 and turn left" and put you on a train full of passengers.
Yes, indeed, it was the first REVENUE run. (Meaning with paying customers). But it was far from the first train over the track. This wasn't the railroad version of a test flight. It was an experienced crew on a track that was inspected and tested thoroughly before opening. The engineer, who is a friend, but who's name I'm intentionally not mentioning, posted comments on his FB page about qualifying on this line in previous weeks. This was NOT his first time over the track. They don't do things that way.

As Per The NTSB spokesperson at today's most recent press conference - It was stated that this disaster does meet the criteria of the Rail Disaster Family Assistance Act.

Wanted to clarify something about the Amtrak train. The news says stuff like "An Amtrak passenger train on its inaugural trip on a new service route"... They forgot one important word "first PUBLIC trip" They've been running test trains on this route for months. They've spent the last month or so qualifying the engineers on the line. They go out and are trained and tested before they're allowed to operate a revenue trip. It's not like they say "Here's a map Bill, head south along 5 and turn left" and put you on a train full of passengers.
Yes, indeed, it was the first REVENUE run. (Meaning with paying customers). But it was far from the first train over the track. This wasn't the railroad version of a test flight. It was an experienced crew on a track that was inspected and tested thoroughly before opening. The engineer, who is a friend, but who's name I'm intentionally not mentioning, posted comments on his FB page about qualifying on this line in previous weeks. This was NOT his first time over the track. They don't do things that way.

Very good point.

From the aerial photos, one of the new Siemens Charger engines was leading the train on its south end.

Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I was making that same point to my wife as we were discussing the accident.

The media has been commenting that Positive Train Control was not in use at the time of the accident. Is this section of track equipped with PTC?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back