Amtrak, BNSF, UP, Meets, GEVO Idle Sounds and more!

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

east_bay_alex

SF BAY AREA

This is my longest and hopefully best video so far! I've taken the time to really narrow in my editing skills and keep things interesting thanks to feedback from all of you! Please don't hesitate to leave feedback positive or negative. I'm taking all comments into consideration for future projects.

Thanks! ;)

I don't know the term for your style of editing, but I like it. Are you using two cameras?

I would further refine your use of the zoom lens, like zooming in on the head-on shots of the commuter trains' station stops, then backing off as the trains pull out and approach the camera. The shots of the different parts of the idling diesels between passing trains is very creative.

Thanks Alex, I really like the video. Great job. The railroad/train sound effects and fade make this video top notch. I look forward to some more.

Hi Bill,

Call it the east_bay_alex style?! When shooting and editing I try to think of what a person would be looking at as a train passes and point the camera at those specific details. Glad you like the edit.

I am not using two cameras, rather I quickly pan the camera and then focus on the train moving away. I edit out the choppy pan and focus as it makes the video much more smooth and easy to watch. l would like to zoom and pull out of shots with my camera, but I physically can't without a 3rd hand as I am taking still photos at the same time! Occasionally you'll hear my camera shutter click as I take photos near the video camera. Something has to be sacrificed in this situation... I've considered adding a second camera, but setup and teardown are also a time consuming process. Thanks for the feedback!

LinkagePeg,

Thanks for the support! I assume you mean the fade/transitions between clips? I'm trying to get out as much as I can! Amtrak Capitol Corridor trains are starting to get a little old now... but I am hoping to make a trip down to Tehachapi or some other HOT railfan destination soon.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back