AMTK 90278 Deadheads on the Southwest Chief

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yard Limit

AMTK 90278 is a non-powered cab unit (NPCU). It was originally built in 1977 as AMTK 278, an EMD F40PH.
NPCU's are used on regional trains such as the Amtrak Cascades which goes between two points and aren't turned at either destination. One end of the train has a powered locomotive and the other has a NPCU which allows the engineer to operate from the front of the train. With the engine gone, they are often also used as baggage storage also, which is why there's a large door on each side.
90278 was seen here in Bernalillo, NM on February 23, 2018 on the eastbound Southwest Chief. It was probably deadheading to Beech Grove, IN for servicing or perhaps reassignment.

Itsed65 would call 90278 a Cabbage (cab + baggage). I like the term.

Good shots of the thunder storm moving in. I lived on Phoenix for a year where we would gets ones like that.

Thanks! It was actually a snow storm that we had earlier this week. Just moved in real quick and went away.
I have heard the term cabbage now that you mention it!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back