AMTK 822 and the Ocean View Dome Car

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yard Limit

On April 1, 2018, the only Amtrak Ocean View Dome Car passed through Bernalillo, NM on it's way to Beech Grove, IN.
The Great Domes are a fleet of six streamlined dome lounge cars built by the Budd Company for the Great Northern Railway and Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1955. The cars were used exclusively on the Empire Builder from their introduction in 1955 until the end of private passenger service in 1971. Amtrak retained all six cars and they continued to run on the Empire Builder before new Superliners displaced them at the end of the decade, after which they saw service elsewhere in the system. The Great Domes were similar in design to the Big Domes Budd built for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.
On April 10, 2018, the car was deadheading back to LAX on Amtrak 3, this time behind AMTK 822, painted in Phase III Heritage livery for Amtrak's 40th Anniversary. We were fortunate enough to be on the way to Colorado that day and stopped at the Las Vegas, NM Amtrak station to catch it. Tip of the hat to the station agent who made a cameo appearance!

Nice video, well done!

I prefer the Budd short domes because they have a better forward view, but if you have to be in a full length dome, that's the one to pick!

Thank you, Bob! The short domes are the only one I've ever ridden in and that was really cool. Back in the Super Chief days.

They deserve mention in the closing credits for keeping you "on track." :D

Your full screen 4K videos look even better (if that is possible) on the new & improved forum.

Last edited:
Quick turnaround on the Super Dome. It must have been to Beech Grove just for routine maintenance and not much else.

Does anyone know what Amtrak does with their sole remaining Super Dome? I noticed that it still has the old wide striping (Phase III) which matches the new baggage cars.

Last edited:
Nice video. I had the opportunity to ride in an ex Santa Fe Budd Big Dome, on the Conrail Office Car train, running under NEC Catenary wire, no less, some 20 years ago. It was a fun ride, and actually better than my ride in a B&O Stratadome Coach in the 60s.

Boris

Nice video. I had the opportunity to ride in an ex Santa Fe Budd Big Dome, on the Conrail Office Car train, running under NEC Catenary wire, no less, some 20 years ago. It was a fun ride, and actually better than my ride in a B&O Stratadome Coach in the 60s.

Boris

Santa Fe Big Dome under Catenary? Wow, I didn't realize they'd clear, must have been pretty tight.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back