abandoned trolley

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Bruce Butler

I came across this apparently abandoned trolley this weekend. It is about 16 miles west of Salt Lake City Utah, visible from I-80, and about 1 mile east of the old Saltair resort building, exit 104. It appears to be the genuine thing; not some fake. The trucks are genuine McGuire Cummings trucks with the gears still mounted. Traction motors are long gone, along with any other mechanical equipment.

View attachment 109715 View attachment 109716 View attachment 109717 View attachment 109718

Does anybody know the story behind this one? It would be a tough but not impossible restoration. I wondered if it was a Salt Lake, Garfield, and Western original, or perhaps Bamburger.

Bruce Butler

Here are some pictures of the trucks.

View attachment 109719 View attachment 109720 View attachment 109722

This building, just west of the trolley, looks like it might have been an interurban substation. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't have time to snoop further. I could hear voices inside of the building and I didn't want to walk into a drug scene or possibly something worse! I shot my pix quickly and split!

View attachment 109721

weekendrailroader

Guy with the green hat
I don't remember the story behind it, but I think that thing has become semi-famous amongst those on flickr.com. It makes for a good photography subject, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com