A Tribute to Amtrak 156 in New Mexico

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yard Limit

Amtrak has five locomotives that commemorate the 40th anniversary of Amtrak service and these are painted to resemble past phases of Amtrak paint schemes.
Amtrak 156 Phase I P42DC
Amtrak 130 Phase II P42DC
Amtrak 145 Phase III P42DC
Amtrak 184 Phase IV P42DC
Amtrak 822 Phase III P40DC
Amtrak currently has 396 locomotives, so seeing one of these Heritage units is interesting, especially if it’s leading the train. When one of these locomotives gets assigned to a route like the Southwest Chief, it often comes and goes several times before it gets assigned to another route. That gives train photographs several chances to catch it in different locations. Amtrak 156 is one of my favorites because of the Phase I paint scheme. I’d photographed it a few days earlier in Bernalillo, but I also knew that it would be an amazing shot passing in front of Devil’s Throne; a shot best done with a drone.
So on June 28, 2018, I decided to drag Diana and Sydney to Cerrillos to photograph 156. I set up the ground cameras and then flew the drone to the spot where I thought I would capture the perfect image. Finally after hearing the voice of the second engineer on the radio, I knew it was close. (Amtrak has two engineers on long distance trains; one deals with paperwork and radios, and the other drives the train.)
During its tour on the Southwest Chief, I videoed 156 at Los Cerrillos, Rosario, Bernal, Albuquerque, and Rio Puerco, New Mexico.

Very good video. I especially like the footage taken at the semaphores, which offers a unique juxtaposition of the old and new.

Thank you. I'm working on documenting as many of these semaphores as possible before they are either replaced or the Southwest Chief is discontinued.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back