A quirky crossing

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I failed to see the malfunction. Its odd that they have the ped gates go down first, but clearly that is there design of the crossing.

I think the malfunction was the extension on the end of the roadway arm swinging about. At first, I thought it was a support leg for it, but at one part you see it getting pulled up into position and then dropping back down as the main arm gets raised. We've got pedestrian stops as well, here in Brisbane, Australia, but they are swinging gates surrounded by a low cage. Those mini arms would be more expensive to make I think.

I agree, not seeing the problem here. Yes, the pedestrian gates came down first. They're timed so that a little old lady can clear the crossing safely. The articulated gates don't seem to be a flaw either, that's how they work. Not sure what the guy who posted the video to Youtube thinks is an issue?

When the video first started, I thought the pedestrian gate was across the driveway of the house and I thought "Wow, someone has to wait for the train, just to drive in and out their driveway".

I wonder if he thinks the second time the auto (articulated) gate comes down is a malfunction. The problem is that the video does not continue on seamlessly from that perspective.

The clue might be in the second clip where the train comes from the opposite direction after the first train.

If you hang out at the Edmonds station area you see this quite often with passenger trains stopping at the station.

The gates ahead of the train will wait for approximately 20 seconds of no movement while the train discharges/boards passengers, after which they go back up. What might be happening in the video is, after the train crosses from the right, ... is another train approaching, and stopping at a station off to the left out of camera view, then starting again before the pedestrian gates respond.

Hmm, we will have to investigate this!

Last edited:
Just looked on Google Maps, the Newton Road station is actually off to the right. It's the end of the line for the Norfolk "The Tide" light rail line, and is single track.
This might just be a timing issue of two train movements causing the crossing gates to act that way.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back