A Day Of Rememberance

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

papio

This Memorial Day I found myself in Columbus Indiana while my family was at the local outlet mall. My goal was to check out the area to see if there was any railfanning potential. While I came up short on that endeavour, I did find some real reminders of what this holiday is really about...remembering those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Every pillar of the moument had either veteran's names inscribed or excerpts of correspondence about a fallen hero. Here are a few shots to reflect upon...

Last edited by a moderator:

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
So many people think of Memorial Day only as a three-day weekend, the start of summer or a day to break out the grill. Veterans fought for the rights for people to do these things, but it'd be nice if more people could remember why they have that three-day weekend...
That said, I lost more than a couple of soldiers on active duty (and I had to go tell young women that they were now widows, their reaction happens exactly like you see in the movies). I remember their names like I remember the names of my parents and my brother, they're that burned into my brain. I also remember the days we lost each one of them. Those are my Memorial Days.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.