1995 IAIS Detour

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
With all the Flooding in the Area, the Union Pacific is detouring trains over the Iowa Interstate Railroad to give UP Maintenance Of Way Workers more track time. Last night/This Morning, the Union Pacific 1995, Chicago and North Western Heritage Unit detoured over the Iowa Interstate. It was scheduled to arrive in to Council Bluffs around 11:30 this morning, however when I woke up, the emails said it would be close to CB. I went over to the IAIS CB yard to find the 1995 changing crews right up on the north end. After that I got ready and when on a short "chase". Terrible lighting on the CB Shots, but I made it work...

1. Iowa Interstate Yard in CB changing crews.

2. I headed over to the Rock Island Depot in CB to wait for it to roll by

3. Rock Island Depot

4. Heading towards the UP

5. After that I headed over to the UP Pool Yard where the IAIS Terminates

6. Then I headed over to the Amtrak Depot for one last shot before I needed to get to work. However right as the 1995 appeared so did a BNSF! I thought what horriable timing but.....

7. I think it all worked out for the best when you see this shot and the next shot!

8. This is probably the catch of the day.

9. And one shot going away.

10. I also got this awesome catch on the way to work.... The Dominator!

UP Salina Sub

Railfanius Extremus
Is the pool yard where IAIS,and UP interchange? I figure this has to be the only way IAIS 512 could have ended up in Central Kansas in a UP westbound coal empty consist

Relative to the UP train going on the Iowa Interstate (former Rock Island), how fast can they run the train on that track in Western Iowa? Asked somebody on here a few years ago and they said 30 MPH. Have there been track improvements over the last couple of years which have allowed for higher speed?

I like the shot by the R.I Station. Even with the bad lighting you made it look good.

I came upon the 1995 getting a crew at Lexington around 7PM, so it seems to have made good time. Man, there are a lot of trains between No. Platte and Gibbon. I could have used a dashboard camera.

It's always nice to see your photos.

Awesome! Good catch on the Dominator, and the 1995 too.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Nice pics.

What the hell is the dominator?
Thanks, I think they already answered your question about the Dominator, however I will mention again, if you have never seen the TV show and like storms, its a must see!

Is the pool yard where IAIS,and UP interchange? I figure this has to be the only way IAIS 512 could have ended up in Central Kansas in a UP westbound coal empty consist
Yes, the UP, IAIS, BNSF, and CN all use it. Its on the north side of the Main UP yard. IAIS is running a coal train to test service with the UP. I heard that the 512 was not ment to go that far. It was on its way back last I heard.

Relative to the UP train going on the Iowa Interstate (former Rock Island), how fast can they run the train on that track in Western Iowa? Asked somebody on here a few years ago and they said 30 MPH. Have there been track improvements over the last couple of years which have allowed for higher speed?
I am not positive about track speed, but the track is in decent shape and I know its at least 30mph

Picture nine is awesome, like all them center beams. Very cool with picture ten.

The armored upgraded Storm Research Vehicle. This video shows its use.
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/storm-chasers-meet-the-dominator.html
Thanks, I wish the BNSF was starting to turn south so you could see its locomotive in that photo too.

Whoa. That's pretty neat.
Thanks Chet!

Thanks Buddy!

LMAO @ The Dominator. It looks like an armadillo with wheels.
It stands out in the crowd!

Very good shots Brad!
Thanks Ed!

I like the shot by the R.I Station. Even with the bad lighting you made it look good.

I came upon the 1995 getting a crew at Lexington around 7PM, so it seems to have made good time. Man, there are a lot of trains between No. Platte and Gibbon. I could have used a dashboard camera.

It's always nice to see your photos.
Thanks Rick! I know what you mean about highway 30 out in western Nebraks. Not stop action some days!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.