“100 Greatest Train Movies,” review…

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
I picked up a copy of this special edition yesterday and was very disappointed in it. It’s just a movie reviewer giving reviews of movies that in some cases have almost nothing to do with trains at all. And come on, “Emperor of the North” was NUMBER 17? Not bloody likely! :confused: And “Tough Guys” wasn’t even on the list! :eek: And yet, of course plenty of obscure European movies nobody ever heard of were there (I think movie reviewers always have to play the French cinema card to feel like they’re in the know at times like that). It’s all artsy film critiques, and I wonder of the writer understood his target audience at all.
“Broken Arrow,” and “The Journey of Natty Gann” aren’t listed, but “Before sunrise” was? The latter film has a short sequence inside a European train which doesn’t show trains or use them as a plot point (it could have been on a bus for all it mattered). The former two have trains as an integral aspect of the plot (even a short one).
I was really hoping for more insight into some of these films and more photographs. All I got here, I could have read off the internet. There is little to nothing on the makings of these films in regard to the use of railroads. The rankings I could live with (still grumbling over that # 17, though), and I did agree that “The Train” was an acceptable # 1, but this was not written in the perspective of any train buff. All in all, it was a waste of money and it’s ten clams I’d really like to have back.

I just glanced through it but I was also surprised at some of the movies they had listed.Tough guys and Journey of Natty gann wasn't on the list???That sucks!They should have done some more reasearch.Wondered if they remembered Atomic train?

LWB

RR movies

The reviewer seems to be stuck on good movies and forgets the list needs to be good train movies. Many of the movies on the list have very little Railroad content, nor is the RR content central to the theme of the movie. An example being Charade.
Don't write off all the foreigh films. I just rented La Batail Du Rail and highly recommend it.
I agree that some bad movies deserve to be on the list simply because of must see Railroad content. As an example: 3 for Bedroom C which is set entirely aboard the Super Chief.
I recommend the following for must see railroad content:
The General - Civil War era steam
The Great Locomotive Chase - More historically accurate than the General
The Train
Silver Streak 1934
Narrow Margin 1952 - train movies don't need music
Sleepers West - narrow margin light with a some Front Page included
The Major and the Minor
Other Men's Women AKA The Steel Highway - SD&AE
Palm Beach Story
Without Reservations (look out the windows)
Breakheart Pass - Filmed on the Camas Prairie
Broadway Limited
Union Pacific
Runnaway Train - ARR scenery
LWB

SDJeff

Texas Railfan
Tough Guys rules, I watched that over and over in the 80's and 90's. It was put out in 1986 and never has been released on DVD to my knowledge.

Edit: I bought it today.
http://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/LXPKZXSA/

It sounds like that book was geared toward movie buffs more than railfans. Railfans would be interested more about details and seeing movements of trains in movies where as cinema fans would be more interested in how the train ties in to the movie plot, visualization, inter-workings, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
How about"THE NARROW MARGIN"with GENE HACKMAN/199? /"SIVER STREAK" 1976,GENE WILDER AND RICHARD PRYOR./"MURDER ON THE PRIVATE CAR",CHARLES RUGGLES 193?tons of SP STEAM.

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
Tough Guys rules, I watched that over and over in the 80's and 90's. It was put out in 1986 and never has been released on DVD to my knowledge.

Edit: I bought it today.
http://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/LXPKZXSA/

It sounds like that book was geared toward movie buffs more than railfans. Railfans would be interested more about details and seeing movements of trains in movies where as cinema fans would be more interested in how the train ties in to the movie plot, visualization, inter-workings, etc...
They had an advanced screening of “Tough Guys” at a theater in my hometown before it first came out. A buddy of mine (a bigger train buff than even I was) and I went to go see it and they gave out full sized movie posters afterward. I still have mine rolled up in a tube. Crying shame that 4449 didn’t feature much on it, though. As for the DVD, I’d bet that as a pirated one as apparently Disney never released it on DVD. Even still, I’d love to have a good DVD of that movie, no matter who made it. I’ll never forget Doyle McCormack’s classic line, “You’re crazy, nobody robs trains anymore.”
Don't write off all the foreigh films. I just rented La Batail Du Rail and highly recommend it.
No slam on foreign films as a general topic, but I get a little annoyed by film critics when they feel they must show off their knowledge by citing obscure foreign cinema for snob factor. There are some French films that are highly regarded by the “arty” snob crowd that simple are utter garbage.

There's a movie called "Switchback" (1997) that has lots of train scenes -including an action scene aboard a MOW train with an old flanger or spreader. I think it was filmed on the RioGrande RR in the Rockies. Pretty fun movie to watch for its railroad content.

I wanted to mention one more,if i can,it took alittle research but i found it, i'm an SP steam fan and this is one is good to,it's a serial in twelve chapters called '' HURRICANE EXPRESS'' 1932 by MASCOT PITURES,JOHN WANYE.It's avalible at CD UNIVERSE.COM for about 7 bucks,they've got agreat collection of old classics.

There is a little known independent film that was released in the last couple years, that, though I have yet to watch, bears mention called "Train Master." Mainly for children but from the trailers bears a great deal of railroading operations.

SDJeff

Texas Railfan
I remember seeing one movie about an Olympic athlete training at home for the Munich Olympics in 1972. He trains and makes it to the Olympics only to be canceled because of the terror attack. I want to say the movie is "21 hours at Munich" from 1976. The railroad part is that the athlete lives adjacent to the BN tracks. There were a few scenes with train, the one I remember is a BN train with 3 or 4 SD40-2's flying by his home.

"Human Desire" comes to mind, also. I accidently discovered it during channel surfing. plays on TMC, B&W, stars Glenn Ford as the engineer (of a Santa Fe PA, no less) and Broderick Crawford as a bully of a Yardmaster. The train scenes are secondary to the plot, but I think worth watching for. IMHO.

ROCK4329

ROCK GP38-2 #4329 RULES!!
Seems to me that EVERYONE never mentions "Disaster on the Coastliner". It was out in the late '70's or early 80's. I can't even remember who was in it. All I remember that it was about a disgruntled Amtrak employee who set his train on a collision course with another train.

William Shatner, (of Star Trek fame) starred as the hero of the movie. The disgruntled employee hid on the second unit of the engine consist and overrode the dispatcher radoi to this train and gave the engineer authority to run a red signal...consequently, they had a fight scene on the roof of the runaway engine, jumped into a river they were passing, and the engine made a spectacular wreck at the end of track, the MOW people made to prevent the engine from going into town...bears a look see.

I don't know if "Picnic" is one of the movies in the book, but that is my all time favorite movie. Trains are a major player in the story because the main character, Hal, arrives in and leaves from a small Kansas town on a freight train, and because another main character, his former high school buddy, is the wealthy heir apparent to the local grain elevator. As we all know, grain elevators are a major part of the RR landscape.

Filming occurred in Kansas towns that had rich RR histories.

The final scene is an aerial view of a train and a bus rolling away from the viewers, with Hal on the train headed for Tulsa, and Madge, the girl who fell in love with him, following on the bus.

There's a lot more to the movie than that; I highly recommend it, even if you are not as old as I am.

:) :)

Seems to me that EVERYONE never mentions "Disaster on the Coastliner". It was out in the late '70's or early 80's. I can't even remember who was in it. All I remember that it was about a disgruntled Amtrak employee who set his train on a collision course with another train.
Just watched this movie today on TV. I thought it was pretty good. Employee hi-jacks nbound, (vice) president's wife on sbound, secret service, police, con-men, and a little romance. plus a look at CTC and Amtrak's equipment from way back when it was new. It did bug me, however how it was called "Trans American Railway" with Amtrak plastered on everything. lol

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com