sp

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Zephyr Daylight

Zephyr Daylight

California Zephyr dome-observation car trailing the SP 4449 at East Auburn on the way to Tacoma from Stampede Pass.
  2. Tacoma Bound

Tacoma Bound

The SP 4449 has crossed the M Street grade crossing and is headed for Tacoma after returning from Stampede Pass.
  3. M Street

M Street

The SP 4449 about to cross the M Street grade crossing in East Auburn after returning from Stampede Pass on 6/25/11.
  4. Southern Pacific Depot

Southern Pacific Depot

This Southern Pacific Depot sits in Nacogdoches Tx. Behind it is a 8 railroad track crossing. Union Pacific now reigns through it
  5. SPMW 325

SPMW 325

UP flanger awaits the next Sierra storm at Colfax, CA. This flanger was built in 1938 and rebuilt in 1971 and 2006. On Donner it primarily vollies between Emigrant Gap and Truckee, CA to remove snow accumalation between the railhead.
  6. Shooting in to the sun

Shooting in to the sun

SP 9752 parked in Beaumont, Tx.
  7. Soon to be gone

Soon to be gone

UP continues to lay a second main across portions of Arizona. This 3-headed SP relic will soon be a memory.
  8. Sugar Bowl Xing '95

Sugar Bowl Xing '95

The view of Sugar Bowl x-ing in 1995. SP signal supervisors advised me at the time that these wig wags were high priority to be upgraded to modern flashers. Both were retired soon afterwards, and found their way to the front yards of SP signal maintainers' private residences.
  9. In need of a mechanic

In need of a mechanic

A WB grain train for Livingston, CA (Foster Farms) barely achieves the station of Floriston on a gentle 1% grade. With wet rails and poor maintenance of locos this train does its best to make 12 mph. The next two years would bring herds of leasors and rent-a-wrecks to the SP.
  10. Truckee Helper

Truckee Helper

Having just pushed a wb through the big hole aka T#41, the helper prepares to go east. The wooden snowshed would be replaced by concrete in 1998.
  11. Going for a 70's photo look

Going for a 70's photo look

I shot this directly into the sun, on purpose. This reminds me of a lot of the 70's photos (non magazine of course) that I use to look at.
  12. Getting Ready for Street Running on Home Rails

Getting Ready for Street Running on Home Rails

MWRX 3338, xSP GP9 at Gulf Coast Rails in Orange, TX. These engines sit on old SP tracks that about 15'in front of the old SP engine is street running track to the port.
  13. Got Talent?

Got Talent?

This SP local is heading for Grants Pass having worked the various mills around Talent, Orgeon. On the Siskiyou branch, daytime trains were mostly a handful of locals.
  14. SP 9738 at Knippa, Tx

SP 9738 at Knippa, Tx

SP 9738 shoving back into local rock plant at Knippa. US90
  15. SP 9738 at Knippa, Tx

SP 9738 at Knippa, Tx

SP 9738 crossing the Dry Frio River on a raining cloudy day. As I got back in my truck the LAS10 stop at the lead into Traprock to do some switching of ballast cars.
  16. Not enough to clear the turnout

Not enough to clear the turnout

This SP local is in a minor jam. It was trying to run-around its train by allowing the cars to roll downhill via gravity. A crew member was using the handbrakes to avoid a runaway. The problem; the cut didn't roll far enough to clear the turnout. The SD-9 gingerly crept forward to nudge (tap)...
  17. EB at Langtry

EB at Langtry

The old highway bridge stil stands near Langtry, Texas.
  18. Summer for Snowfighters

Summer for Snowfighters

Ever wonder where snow fighting units go for "summer vacations?" South Texas of course. This unit was around for a week before it started migrating back to the golden state.
  19. Real Heritage

Real Heritage

The SP 144 is the third unit of five on this Northbound (first two were boring H2 BNSF C44-9W's). SP 144 has survived 14 years without an ugly UP patch, and behind SP 144, BNSF 755 and BNSF 758 still wear the red and silver Warbonnet scheme of the Santa Fe.
  20. SP 144

SP 144

I was reading the "other" forums this morning and saw a heads up about this AC4400 heading North on the BNSF Gateway Sub. in Northern California. I heard the lead unit (BNSF 5450) get a warrant from 11Z to North Siding Switch Cascan, and the hunt was on! The BNSF 1000 also came...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back