Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. UP 1996

UP 1996

UP's Southern Pacific Heritage Unit leads a an eastbound double stack through the Columbia River Gorge.
  2. Union Pacific Olypmic fever I

Union Pacific Olypmic fever I

Before UP 1996 was a Daylight inspired heritage locomotive, it was the number of a Olympic inspired SD40-2. Here UP 1996 leads the northbound torch relay train at Elkhorn, California in May of 1996.
  3. Union Pacific Olympic fever II

Union Pacific Olympic fever II

This is called excitedly getting out of the car and forgetting your focus! =p I remember we caught up with the torch relay train at Gilroy, California after it was held for a evening CalTrain commute train. The focus still sucks, but the subject material was still worth a JPEG. May of 1996.
  4. UP SD70ACe 1996 in Bend

UP SD70ACe 1996 in Bend

Durring the 2008 UP detours on the BNSF Oregon Trunk, the UP 1996 made several visits to Bend. Being one of six Heritage units, and not even on a UP line, it was a treat to us railfans in Bend.
  5. UP 1996 - Benbrook Texas

UP 1996 - Benbrook Texas

UP Employee day passenger special running family employee's to Iona siding and back Centennial yard with the UP 1988 on the other end on the UP Baird sub.
  6. Snaking through Tunnel 8

Snaking through Tunnel 8

UP 1996 leads the MWCPT north through Tunnel 8 on Cuesta Grade. In moments the train will enter Tunnel 7, leaving the rest of the train still snaking through Tunnel 8 and Tunnel 9.
  7. Way back when...

Way back when...

I shot this back in 2006, and finally managed to put it up. Could be in 1996. I would immagine this is the CN 107, but that was about a year before I got my scanner.
  8. UP 1996 on Z-train at Brooks

UP 1996 on Z-train at Brooks

In the lead!
  9. UP 1996 @ Brooklyn Yard

UP 1996 @ Brooklyn Yard

Engine was shut down with two other locomotives. First time I have caught sight of her. Only saw the rear end sticking out as I drove by. Glad I stopped to check it out!
  10. In the Canyon

In the Canyon

A few months before the end, SP's PTCIT - the Portland to LA Swift RoadRailer train - crosses Castle Creek near Dunsmuir, California, May 25, 1996. My son swims here now and watches the wings roll by.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back