Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. R

Greetings from Dallas!

Welcome from Fort Worth, Steve. Glad to have you here. I'm a big fan of your work.
  2. R

Madill Sub

The signals are being replaced for PTC installation. Most of them seem to be in basically the same location as their predecessors, but at least one distant signal has moved farther away from the switch it protects.
  3. R

Please help!! Need an answer if anyone knows!!! Bnsf.....

I don't think this is a problem since a seat belt violation isn't a moving violation. I think the intent is to discover moving violations which would indicate a pattern of reckless disregard for oneself and the public.
  4. R

Career as a RailRoad Conductor

I'd go do something else for awhile rather than go to work for the railroad right away. Work in a field where you can get some experience dealing with safety issues, but where you have some kind of freedom to be a kid and have fun. There's always time to get on as a conductor then put it all on...
  5. R

What Boots Do You Wear?

In the three years since my last post on this topic, I've gone over to waterproof boots. Red Wing 2244 when I'm on the ground, 4216 when I'm in the seat. http://www.redwingshoes.com/productcomparison/4216-red-wing-shoes,2244-red-wing-shoes
  6. R

Madill Sub

Late August (the date of your photo) was the peak of Tower 55 reroutes. If I had to guess, I'd say that was probably a Q-CHIHOU running from KC through Tulsa, Irving and Teague before arriving in Houston instead of its usual route through Oklahoma City, Fort Worth and Temple.
  7. R

Madill Sub

Thanks for posting the photos, JRNYFRISCO. I don't have an answer on this for you, but I may be getting requalified on this territory again soon so I'll ask around at that point. Honestly, I'm thinking more along the lines of PTC than CTC based on the antenna and switch position indicators...
  8. R

Push for One Man Crews

Yes, I am. However, PTC isn't foolproof. It was cut in here on the Wichita Falls Subdivision and then taken out of service several months ago and has not come back. I am certain we can count on it failing again, just like we can count on radio failure, dynamic brake failure, and PTC screen...
  9. R

Push for One Man Crews

Bill, are you sure those are one-man crews and not a two man-crew? The only one-man job I know of is hostler, and that's a BN property thing only (former Santa Fe uses a Herder and Pilot, which is a two-man hostler crew). Here in Fort Worth BNSF has several two man-crew RCO jobs, but no...
  10. R

Howcome Videos In Cab Aren't Allowed?

Regarding magazines and other media, here is the applicable rule from the current GCOR in effect on BNSF: 1.10 Games, Reading, or other Media Employees on duty must not: • Play Games • Read magazines, newspapers, or other literature not related to their duties when: - On a train or...
  11. R

Madill Sub

I haven't heard anything, but I sure hope so. What activity are you seeing at those two locations that makes you think so?
  12. R

BNSF Conductor trainee Richmomd CA

The first few weeks are at the lowest rate, then the pay kicks up a bit for the next few weeks. After your brakeman test, the pay goes up again. I have no idea what the work is like in California, but expect uncertainty for awhile. Is the position listed as Conductor Trainee - Primary Recall...
  13. R

How to get a Interview with KCS

At one of the yards where I work, KCS brings in a transfer train daily. Every once in a while they need to be piloted through a track or portion of the yard they ordinarily don't see. So I've had a chance to talk with some of them comparing work on BNSF to KCS. After talking with them I am glad...
  14. R

Got an offer for a CSX Freight Conductor, should I take it?

Believe me, the railroads know this. You will have five starts and be first out (the next one to be called) only to get no phone call in 24 hours, which resets your starts to zero. Then, one minute later, after you're rested 24 hours and one minute, the call comes. It's like magic! No days off...
  15. R

My WA photos

I like the 70MACs. They are loose and worn in, like an old sweater, which makes them comparable to a 600 or 700 series Dash 9. I prefer a GE cab over an EMD cab, but there is pretty decent visibility in the teardrop window cabs, especially compared to the new EMD cabs. They've been bumped down...
  16. R

My WA photos

Citirail is the leasing division of Citigroup. I can't speak for other engineers, but I don't care for the ACe locomotives. I rank them just above the SD75Ms and C40-8s. I've had my share of ACes dropping their load or laying down on a hill or having bad order dynamics, so I'm a bit jaded. My...
  17. R

My WA photos

New ES44C4s are coming out of the Fort Worth plant as fast as GE can build them. Most of them have been BNSF, but there were several Citirail units not too long ago (I'm not sure if those were AC, DC or C4s). To tell the truth, I don't know who is using the Citirail units. They were put on...
  18. R

My WA photos

My brother runs there in North Dakota and he's told me what's killing BNSF is the grain traffic on top of the oil traffic. Here in Texas we're still seeing our seasonal slowdown like usual, but we are getting lots of grain traffic. We had several stored GEs here in Texas, but they went out to...
  19. R

My WA photos

That sounds about right. I've seen three 8200/200 series units in the past 24 hours, and those things are garbage. If BNSF is using them again, they must be desperate.
  20. R

Understanding the Contents of a CTC Conversation

Other than what's mentioned above, the chatter usually involves finding out where the opposing train is located when making a meet. The reason is you generally have crossings within the siding so you don't want to block traffic, especially major roads or in towns. A dispatcher might let you know...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back