Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. S

Help With Tool Found

All I can really say is, if you need this tool and don't have one, you're stuck.
  2. S

Help With Tool Found

Well you certainly picked a good subject for your first post. Really interesting tool. I don't know anything about reversers, but that looks like a specialty crow-foot adapter wrench, of which millions have (and continue) to be made. EXCEPT for that spring-loaded thing on the open-end wrench...
  3. S

Am I the only GG1 fan?

Handsome no-frills design. Well engineered. Held a respectable segment of the history of electric traction motors that evolved through several AC frequencies, plus DC in the case of diesel-electric. Powerful, reliable (remember the Metroliners that didn't do well in snow?) and plenty fast for...
  4. S

LS&MS Pumping Station Location?

Well that took all the fun out of a good mystery.
  5. S

Baltic states - videos

Did the Kaliningrad-Saint Petersburg train continue to Kaliningrad after Lithuanian Independence? Does that line carry freight also? Interesting geopolitics. Thanks for all the great videos--good to see the world in action. Art.
  6. S

Chase Notch, Alabama--just up and disappeared?

That is absolutely it. Thank you. I was looking in the wrong weeds.
  7. S

Chase Notch, Alabama--just up and disappeared?

I was putting locations into the metadata of some old photos today and came across a series I made at a place locally known as Chase Notch near Huntsville, Alabama. I know about where the photos were taken, but can find no reference to a place called "Chase Notch," in order to insert the...
  8. S

Australia's West Coast Wilderness Railway

Great armchair journey to an interesting place! The British Rail Class 04 shunting locomotive that shows up if you poke around the WCWR "Meet our heritage diesel locomotives" webpage, here https://www.wcwr.com.au/news/meet-our-heritage-diesel-locomotives caught my eye. The diesel locomotive...
  9. S

Railfanning in Central Florida in the time of Covid

Since SunRail arrived, the only trains passing through my neck of the woods (during daylight) are SunRail & Amtrak. Seen one, seen 'em all. We're pretty-well sealed up here at home gardening and photographing birds, but we live right near the Outer Marker for Orlando International Airport's...
  10. S

Tehachapi Loop

First of all, thanks to exploreworld for reminding me about some good times. Can't speak for now, but back then it was an amazing place. One Saturday afternoon a big motorhome pulled up on that rise with grandfather, mom & dad, and a couple of kids. I walked over. Mom was cooking supper, the...
  11. S

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2020

Looks like my great-grandmother's overstuffed velvet furniture.
  12. S

Tehachapi Loop

Great shot. You captured the essence of the place for sure. It was my favorite train-watching spot back 1995-2001. I used to spend the weekends camped by the tracks. Met railfans and looky-loos from all over the world. This photo was taken Memorial Day 2001. The group on the rise on the...
  13. S

Sunday's Shots - Duplainville 5-31-2020

If I lived near the photo spot for the CN 3803, I'd go there every day at that hour. Art
  14. S

Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Glad you're out and about in the fresh air. Any bird activity in the marsh? What's happening up on Sunset, and any more progress eliminating the level-grade crossings?
  15. S

Apparently BNSF has secret decoder rings to tell which is which. Two cars called "Trinchera Pass." Interesting how short the cars in your photos are. RR Pictures Archive
  16. S

More or less midway between Antonito and Amarillo.
  17. S

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay 2019

Yeah, but as I've noticed, when you break the rule about backlight you manage to do it when something in the foreground lights the shadow side. Great photo.
  18. S

Trackside access at Tehachapi Loop???

Hit the rong button. Here's what it looks like from the road. Turnout RV Park.
  19. S

Trackside access at Tehachapi Loop???

As many railfans as go there from all over the world, it would seem some entrepreneur could do something like the RV park at the Folkston Funnel in Georgia.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back