Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Railfan40

The Nebraska Central Railroad Thread

On June 30 there was also a work train scheduled on the Stromsburg Sub. I first caught 902 on the South side on Central City on my way to St. Paul. The other two photos were taken between Osceola and Shelby.
  2. Railfan40

A few more photos from June 30 as the train got closer to Grand Island. A mixture of the high humidity and the smoke from the Canadian wildfires made it look more cloudy than it actually was.
  3. Railfan40

On June 30, 2015 I caught up to the Ord Local in St. Paul and chased it on its way South to Grand Island.
  4. Railfan40

On June 25, 2015 I went to David City to chase the Stromsburg Local going West. As you can tell it was a very large train in the morning. I only chased it as far as Shelby as I needed to get back home and there are many slow orders on the Stromsburg Sub. Most likely 6331 and 6333 were going to...
  5. Railfan40

Yes they are, 6331 used to be Ferromex and 6333 was originally an SP unit and they were rebuilt by CSX at one point so they have quite a history. I've also heard that NCRC is going to be painting these units sometime this year.
  6. Railfan40

Midwest Railfan Trip Suggestions

Sad news, the Ord Local is actually not running tomorrow so no luck there. :( If you are going to be around Columbus at 4 pm the NCRC Cedar Local goes on duty at Oconee (between Columbus and Monroe on State highway 22). If you are in the area earlier than that there is usually power running...
  7. Railfan40

Here's a few more of the model railroad type switching at Central City. I also took a quick opportunity to take a picture of the Platte Valley Turn waiting to leave town on the UP mainline back to Grand Island. I also took a picture of the Stromsburg Local near Hordville going back East before I...
  8. Railfan40

Thanks guys! I really should have bought a lottery ticket that day I don't know what I was thinking. My next Nebraska Central chase was on June 22 when the Stromsburg Local and Platte Valley Turn were both due in Central City about the same time. When I got into town the Platte Valley Turn was...
  9. Railfan40

Sounds like your trip is going well so far Dave! Just wanted to let you know that the Ord Local is going to work North to Ord tomorrow from Grand Island and is going on duty at 0800. Obviously not really going to work for you but the good news is it should be coming back South on Friday if you...
  10. Railfan40

On May 29, 2015 I saw the ADM Turn again on the West side of David City. Then on the 31st the Ord Local was coming into Grand Island on my way through town. I happened to get lucky enough to get a three way meet shot at the BNSF overpass.
  11. Railfan40

Thanks Tom! The UP locos were probably from an ethanol or grain shuttle. They use UP power on shuttles and also the MCBNC/MNCCB (Council Bluffs to Nebraska Central and visa versa) and the MNPNC/MNCNP (North Platte to Nebraska Central and visa versa). The MCBNC becomes the Norfolk Local once a...
  12. Railfan40

No problem! The Stromsburg Sub is 63 miles long, at David City the North/South line you would have seen is the BNSF Bellwood Sub which is a branch from Seward to Columbus. Nebraska Central has trackage rights over the BNSF to Columbus and brings in what they call the ADM Turn into ADM in...
  13. Railfan40

A few more from May 23rd. The first picture was taken at the Grand Island shop. The other 3 were of the Cedar Local lead by 8057. The Cedar Local works daily from Oconee to Preferred Sands West of Genoa.
  14. Railfan40

The next set is the ADM Turn around David City on April 10, 2015. The fourth picture is the Columbus Local building their train in UP's Columbus Yard on May 23, 2015.
  15. Railfan40

I can help you out a little when it comes to the NCRC. They have their loco shop in Grand Island real close to the BNSF overpass and UP yard office. They run the Ord Local Sunday-Friday, usually O/D at 0800. It just varies whether they run are running North to Ord or South to Grand Island. They...
  16. Railfan40

The signals you saw actually show the alignment of the switches at the Ord ethanol plant. If you look close in one of the photos you can see that it's lit up yellow. NCRC uses them at quite a few industries and have some different ones at some derail locations. They help a lot when they have to...
  17. Railfan40

The old elevator siding was stubbed off at Main St. so it's still there on the East side. Here's a few photos I've taken of where they load the cars.
  18. Railfan40

As you can tell it was a real high revenue day with only one car bound for Grand Island after 11 covered hoppers were spotted for sand loading in Elba and North of St. Paul.
  19. Railfan40

On 3/24/15 I chased the Ord local on its way South to Grand Island. It was a very cloudy and rainy day, but some of my photos were still ok.
  20. Railfan40

A few more pictures of the ADM Turn on 1/31/15.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back