Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Coal loads exit Tunnel 7

Coal loads exit Tunnel 7

West of Plainview, CO, at Tunnel 7, coal loads and their trailing DPUs exit the solid rock tunnel.
  2. Flatirons at First Light

Flatirons at First Light

The Flatirons, west of Denver, CO on the old D&RGW, at first light, after a foot of wet, heavy snow. This is the Tunnel 2-8 area. Sharp-eyed readers will see Tunnel 2, 3 and 4 all on the right side of the pic..... Rainbow Cut is immediately behind me, as is Plainview Siding...
  3. BNSF loads grind out of Tunnel 27

BNSF loads grind out of Tunnel 27

BNSF manifest tonnage thunders out of Tunnel 27, deep in South Boulder Canyon. The area is east of Pinecliffe, CO, along the old D&RGW.
  4. East Portal in color

East Portal in color

Moffat Tunnel, east portal, in Sept. 04, respelendent in Aspen Gold, and evergreens, with a westbound coal empty about to enter the 6.2mi long bore.
  5. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'spontennpass1'

A perfect Ten, and never to be seen again, maybe never to be operated on again. Thanks for the memories!!
  6. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'UP 844's First Run'

Thanks guys, I had a great day chasing her south from Cheyenne, all the way to Denver Union Station--what a day! She sure is gorgeous, a long time coming.
  7. UP 844's First Run

UP 844's First Run

After a several-year major rebuild and many thousands of hours of labor, the UP 844 is back, making a break-in run to Denver and back, on the 5th of May, 2005. Here, the high-stepping, stunning 4-8-4 Northern type steam locomotive basks in sunshine north of Brighton, CO, awaiting a meet:
  8. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'Tehachapi Loop, by Moonlight'

All I can say is dang. Wow, what a shot!!!
  9. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'Westbound empties at East Plain'

Glad you liked it! At least trains still run on the old Moffat line....
  10. Westbound empties at East Plain

Westbound empties at East Plain

East Plain Siding, Plainview, CO, New Years Eve, 2004: An empty coal train attacks the 2% grade, while entering the siding. With the bulk of the train occupying unknown degrees of tortuous curvature, the prime movers remain at full song. And the stack talk was incredible!!
  11. Centennial rests in the cool night at Cheyenne

Centennial rests in the cool night at Cheyenne

UP 6936, Cheyenne, WY.
  12. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'Surfliner at Surf'

I have actually been there. Such a distraction, going to work, and the rails pass in the foreground...
  13. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'Blinding Blizzard at Rollins'

Thanks! That shot has an interestiong story behind it... send me an email if you wanna know more...
  14. Blinding Blizzard at Rollins

Blinding Blizzard at Rollins

Rollinsville, CO, 02 Jan 2004--an EB coal load cautiously eases down the Moffat Route's 2% grade at Rollins Siding, in a blinding snowstorm.
  15. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'Tunnel 19'

Thanks guys! Like it was said, I wasn't expecting much from the shot, as it was nearly dark, but the tunnel was just right a few aspects: Long, straight, and curved. What's that, you say? Tunnel 19 is straight for several hundred feet, and tightly curved at the other end. The tight curve...
  16. Tunnel 19

Tunnel 19

On the old D&rgW Moffat Route, a BNSF manifest exercising trackage rights grinds up the 2% grade, through Tunnel 19, just west of Crescent, CO. Its headlights are illuminating the tunnel interior, and the rails are afire with light. One of my most favorite shots!
  17. UP Coal empties westbound at Moffat Tunnel

UP Coal empties westbound at Moffat Tunnel

UP Coal empties grind their way up the old D&RGW's tortuous 2% ruling grade to 9200-feet-elevation and Moffat Tunnel's East portal. This shot was directly after a pounding thunderstorm, note the haze and mist in the valley.
  18. H

Comment by 'hemiadda2d' in media 'Going EVERYWHERE!'

I love it! I have gotta see the Craig branch soon.... Great work, as always!
  19. Challenger 3985 eases onto Cheyenne's turntable

Challenger 3985 eases onto Cheyenne's turntable

Is it 2003 or 1953? Pictures say a thousand words, and this one is one of my favorites. The UP 3985 eases onto the turntable for a quick spin.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back