Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. P

BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

On the Fallbridge subdivision, it looks like the new siding between Skamania and Stevenson is about ready for the track laying machine to do its thing. All the fill work is done and smoothed out, the two road underpass bridges are done, and there are little orange spray paint marks on the...
  2. P

It appears as though a new siding is being constructed on the Fallbridge Subdivision about 38 miles east of Vancouver between Skamania and Stevenson, in the North Bonneville area west of tunnel 1.5. Two new switches are being assembled next to the main line about 10,000' apart from each other...
  3. P

The new main 3 in Kalama from Peavey to Toteff is now complete. The tampers and ballast regulators have been doing their thing and the track looks like it's ready to be put into service.
  4. P

The new main 3 from Kelso to Longview Junction South appears to be complete now. The last step was to build the track across the crossing at the north end of the yard and run it across the newly completed bridge over the Coweeman River. It looks like it's well ballasted and tamped. I wouldn't...
  5. P

Since this topic is Washington state, and not specifically Auburn, I'd like to respectfully request that you be more specific as to where, for the benefit of out-of-state railfans. I know you're talking about the new track in Auburn along the Auburn yard, because I saw the fresh ballast today...
  6. P

Looks like the new main 1 is now laid between Ellingson and the Auburn Sounder platform. I couldn't see any farther north from my position.
  7. P

Looks like the track laying machine has been busy at Longview. The new main 3 track is now laid from the switch at Longview Junction South up to the crossing at the north end of the yard. The lights and gate on the east side of the crossing will need to be relocated. Track is not yet laid...
  8. P

Question Re Train Operation During Local Construction

That yellow flag designates a temporary slow order. The flag warning of an upcoming Form B would be half yellow and half red.
  9. P

When a train crew goes on duty, they get a set of "General Track Bulletins" that are printed for their train. In those bulletins, in the case of this bike path construction, there will be a Form B listed that will have a date, start time and end time, as well as the mileposts of the limits and...
  10. P

There is probably a "Form B" during the time work is going on. A Form B is a railroad work zone where a foreman "owns" a section of track where work is going on. The work doesn't have to be railroad related, like tie replacement, for example. It could be any kind of work that is going on...
  11. P

The main 3 bridge over the Coweeman River north of Longview yard is taking shape. South of the crossing at the north end of the Longview yard, ribbon rail is laid out for main 3 down to Longview Junction South. Little orange spray paint dots to indicate the centerline of the track are on the...
  12. P

The moving point frog has its own switch machine that looks just like the one at the switch points. They will not install an expensive moving point frog on an industry spur switch that only gets opened up once a night. I would guess they'll put in a "lift frog," where the flange of a wheel...
  13. P

The main 2 to main 3 switch at Longview Junction South has been installed. That will be the south end of the main 3 that starts at CP Kelso. Bridge work is going on over the Coweeman River north of Longview yard for main 3. The main 2 to main 3 switch has also been installed at Toteff, which...
  14. P

Can you tell me what this is?

Quite often those are left on the walkways on the ends of intermodal cars, so I'm not surprised that you found one along the right of way. That's an example of why you never want to stand close to the tracks while a train is passing by. You never know what might fall off a passing railroad car.
  15. P

Switches are being installed at "Toteff," the new crossover at Kalama at the Toteff Road crossing near the Todd Road exit on I-5. Between Toteff and Peavey, there will be 3 main lines. There is a new overhead southbound signal with 4 sets of signals, one of which is over the south end of storage...
  16. P

There are no switches at CP Kelso at this time. The northbound signal is a cantilever that is standing on the main 2 side and it reaches over main 1. The main 2 signal is lit up, but the main 1 signal has a cloth bag over it. The southbound signal for main 2 is a high stand signal, and it too...
  17. P

Lots of dirt is being moved and lots of trees have been cut down in Kalama to make room for the new third main. There is quite a retaining wall being built near the I-5 Todd Road exit. Pilings are being driven for the new third main bridge over the Coweeman River just north of the Longview yard.
  18. P

Driving on I-5 through DuPont & past Joint Base Lewis-McCord a week ago, I could see a lot of construction machinery next to the tracks, orange mesh fencing, stacks of concrete ties, etc. Looks like work is well underway on the bypass project. Also, in Longview, it looks like there will be a...
  19. P

Mark Gillings or BNSFEng, or anyone else... Do you know what's planned for 2016? I wonder if the down turn in freight volume will cause the company to cut back on projects. I always thought that was a backwards way of thinking. Seems to me that, when business is down, that would be your...
  20. P

New "swing nose frog" switches are being installed at Kelso South. A new northbound 3-signal cantilever is in place at the south end of the control point. The signals are not in use yet. The fill they've brought in for the 3rd main between Kelso South and Longview Jct South is mostly up to...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back