Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. R

The Garstang to Knott End Railway in the UK

This is my second article about the line between Knott End and Garstang. It completes the full length of the line. I am very grateful to a number of people for permission given to publish their photographs as part of the article. You will see their pictures referenced throughout...
  2. R

The Garstang to Knott End Railway in the UK

In January 2020, my wife and I stayed, once again, to the Southeast of the City of Lancaster and explored the area between the Line estuary and the Wyre estuary. It is a superb area for watching overwintering birds! It gave me another opportunity to look at railways in the area. After a visit...
  3. R

British Railways in 1948

When was nationalisation of the railways first promoted as a significant idea? Perhaps you'd like to fix a year in your mind before reading the linked post. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/01/23/british-railways-1948-part-2
  4. R

Unusual Locomotive and Railcars

Three further unusual locomotives/railcars. ... The first was the first Michelin Pneumatic-Tyred Railcar (Type No.9) in the UK. The second are locomtives designed to serve the narrow gauge lines in The Guinness Factory in Dublin and a clever conversion vehicle which allowed the same locos to...
  5. R

Unusual Locomotive and Railcars

All around our world different engineers designed vehicles which seemingly suited the circumstances with which they were dealing. Across the British railway network, and particularly on some of the light railways which sprang to life after the Light Railways Act 1896, there were a number of...
  6. R

Horwich Locomotive Works in the UK

For a number of years in the 1920s and possibly also the 1930s my grandfather worked as a blacksmith in Horwich Loco Works. The works have always, as a result, had a specific interest for me. It has been somewhat saddening over the years to see their gradual deterioration and eventual closure...
  7. R

British Railways in 1948

I have recently purchased the six copies of The Railway Magazine which were issued in 1948. The first of these coincides with the formation of British Railways, and the January/February 1948 issue of the magazine highlights for the readers a little of the history of railways in Britain which led...
  8. R

Glasson Dock, UK

In early November 2019, my wife and I spent a week or so staying just to the Southwest of Lancaster. During our time there we walked along much of the old Glasson Dock Branch which is now a cycleway alongside the River Lune. We were fortunate with the weather! The linked article below describes...
  9. R

King's Lynn, Norfolk, UK

The Lynn and Fakenham Railway - Part 1. ... This post results from reading Issue No. 30 of the "Railway Archive" Journal. It contains an article about the locomotives originally purchased for the Cornwall Minerals Railway. That company dramatically over-ordered motive power and when it lease...
  10. R

Westward Ho!

I have been intending to follow up my first article about this line (http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/06/04/bideford-westward-ho-and-appledore-railway-part-1-railfile) with a second one. It has taken me sometime to complete it. This next article covers the line from Bideford to Westward Ho...
  11. R

The Penydarren Tramroad

This next post relates in passing to the Penydarren Tramroad. It focuses primarily on the Plymouth Ironworks an Collieries which grew as a result of the existence of the Tramroad and the later railways in the Taff Valley. ...
  12. R

King's Lynn, Norfolk, UK

There is a lot more to cover about the railways in and around King's Lynn. This post gives a flavour of what is to come in due course. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/10/21/early-railway-history-in-kings-lynn There is a significant length of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, the...
  13. R

King's Lynn, Norfolk, UK

One of the directors of the Docks and Harbour Railways in King's Lynn was William Burkitt, a self-made local business man who had the means to order his own locomotive from Alfred Dodman & Company of Kings Lynn. The loco was named 'Gazelle'. This is the story of that locomotive. It pulls...
  14. R

The Tramways of Provence

Further decline in the urban tramway network in Nice occurred from the late 1920s into the 1930s. Buses became politically more acceptable than the trams. ... This post continues my reflections based on a translation of the work of Jose Banaudo from French into English. ...
  15. R

Bicester Military Railway

Very recently, I have been reading a book about the Bicester Military Railway which was published in 1992. It was published by the Oxford Publishing Company and is widely available to buy second-hand. It is worth a read. ... http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/10/12/bicester-military-railway-book-review
  16. R

The Forest of Dean Railways and Tramways

I have recently encountered two small books, both of which are facsimile editions of much older books. The first is a 19th century guide to the Forest of Dean for early holiday makers. The second provides a guide to the various coal mines in the Forest. ...
  17. R

Yet another Forest colliery and its railways and tramways - Trafalgar Colliery http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/09/24/trafalgar-colliery-and-railway
  18. R

The Tanat Valley Light Railway

In August 2019 my wife and I belatedly celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by having a few days away. We chose to stay West of Llanymynech in the Welsh Borders. While we were there we travelled the length of the Tanat Valley, following as closely as we could the route of the old Light...
  19. R

Another Forest of Dean Colliery. .... Flour Mill Colliery. ... http://rogerfarnworth.com/2017/09/30/the-flour-mill-colliery
  20. R

The industrial history of the Forest of Dean is such that the intensity of activity was high throughout the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Innovation was rife and nowhere was this more true than in its transport infrastructure. In, what history will ultimately regard as, a...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.