Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. M

Train surfing Indonesia style

The ones at grade, perhaps, but the elevated portions on the KRL Jabodetabek are pretty well maintained and are built to Japanese standards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jakarta_Ekspress.JPG
  2. M

Kintetsu Safety Barrier

Another reason for these barriers- for the partially blind, who can still sense light and darkness, may mistake these gaps as a door opening. Recently a disabled woman fell between two cab cars coupled face to face on the JR Kobe Line, and died.
  3. M

27 subways in the Tokyo megalopolis

More of a Hikifune guy (I'm a big Tokyu 8500 series fan, lost interest in the Toyoko Line after the 8000 series were retired), but I see your point.:)
  4. M

27 subways in the Tokyo megalopolis

Looking towards Den'en Chofu, perhaps taken from the platform end at Tamagawa Station?
  5. M

Kintetsu Safety Barrier

The miscreant may actually have a valid ticket to ride, but in an alcoholic haze, or a sudden loss of rational thought (for example, after just missing the train) he may be tempted to wedge himself in that space. As far as impalement, there is a reason there are copious amounts of warning lines...
  6. M

Kintetsu Safety Barrier

Eja is correct, these devices are also used to keep riders (typically drunkards) from hitching a ride al fresco. It has happened in the Kansai area, which is considred by some to have more idiots than Tokyo.
  7. M

India Yard

A big system. Indian Railways is also the second largest employer in the world (with 1.6 million employees), only the People's Liberation Army of China has more personnel.
  8. M

Elections and HSR

Don't despair, looks like Walker may be reconsidering, now that he has the keys to the governor's mansion: http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/106790123.html
  9. M

Croatian electric locomotve series HŽ 1061

thomcro, thanks for the nice pictures. What is the situation regarding railway photography in Croatia?- do authorities not bother the photographer taking pictures in stations? I ask because I have heard that photographers are hassled in neighboring Serbia, or that taking pictures is prohibited.
  10. M

Majestic Imperator

I like that Italian-built Croatian Rlwy HZ 1061 locomotive!
  11. M

2 subway stations open in Tokyo

Because of those gap fillers on the curved monorail station, the drivers have to be even more exact in stopping so as to properly align the doors with the fillers. Time for ATO operation eventually perhaps?
  12. M

Japanese subways running on other railways

Yes, the through lines make for some interesting service patterns. Quite a long route, I never have done it end to end (mainly because the Den-en Toshi Line has horrid crowding, even off-peak) but the stainless steel Tokyu 8500 series is a draw. The Keikyu/Toei/Hokuso Rlwy Misaki Guchi to...
  13. M

Japanese Loop tunnels

Because the alternative, steep grades and/or switchbacks, would not be conducive to cost-effective operations on a major main line. I assume when planning a tunnel, the location of active faults in the area are taken into consideration.
  14. M

Berlin, DE

Thanks for the nice pictures of early spring in Berlin. I especially like the picture of Badestrasse Station- nice architecture and different modes of rail transport in the same frame.
  15. M

Major Rail Projects in Japan

Ouch! I wonder what caused the damage to that "kabuki" 8000 series?? Too bad those units don't run on the Toyoko Line (or Oimachi Line either) anymore. I like the sound of the traction motors on those chopper units.
  16. M

Major Rail Projects in Japan

Wow Dick, 200+ views and not a single reply. Oh well, you're probably sick of me, but here I am:o Anyway, yes, the Keio Line is an interesting, busy line. Another bottleneck is at Meidaimae Station, which forces rush hour trains to line up behind each other. This is called "dango" driving...
  17. M

A Swiss rack railway journey

Nice to see that even the smaller railways in Switzerland haven't abandoned local freight. I hear there are still local freight stations (i.e. serving a town or village) still in operation, thanks to the strong cantonal governments.
  18. M

Mixed up subway in Tokyo

Dick, the first one is a nice vintage shot- yellow Sobu Line 103 units, and the classic Marunouchi Line 900 series trains, now running on the Buenos Aires Metro Line B.
  19. M

WES: going back to the future

*Apologies if this item has been posted previously-it's rather old news* WES has acquired on the cheap ($75K each) two Budd RDC's as back-up units in case of failure of the problematic Colo. Railcar units. http://www.railwaygazette.com//news/single-view/view//portland-buys-more-rdcs.html...
  20. M

Japanese Loop tunnels

Here's a view of a portion of that southern loop from the up platform at Yubiso (catenary can be seen in the distance): http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:YubisoSt2.jpg *Those tunnels go through mountains that serve as the watershed/dividing line between the...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.