Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. funnelfan

Comment by 'funnelfan' in media '142_EstuaryAbandonedRailroadSouthSlough08-11-15'

While looking at the location of this photo in aerial imagery, I found the remains of a railroad log dump further south.   http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.28135,-124.31854&z=20&t=S
  2. funnelfan

A snowy day on the BNSF Funnel

Nice Pics Marlin, I hope to get up there in the next couple of days. As far as baretables go, watch what kinds of cars are moving. Generally empty 40' wells move west while empty 53' wells move east.
  3. funnelfan

Happy New Year!!!!

A while later the detector on the UP south of Cheney went off so I setup to catch what ever it was heading north. I got real excited when I started hearing a northbound blowing only to watch the H-PASGAL go by through the trees with a BNSF CW44-9 and a UP SD70M on the point. I was anticipating...
  4. funnelfan

Happy New Year!!!!

Happy New Year Everyone!!! Came home from a week in Oregon to a snowy landscape in Cheney, Washington. With several inches on the ground and snow clinging to trees, I couldn't wait to get out and do a little railfanning. While it wasn't exactly busy on this New Years Eve, I did manager to catch...
  5. funnelfan

No Time to be Gloomy

After days and weeks of rain and clouds, the blanket was finally rolled back late this afternoon to shed a little light here on the east end of the Columbia Basin. But even at 2pm the sun was falling fast and there was little time to waste. I had a trio of westbounds coming out of Spokane to...
  6. funnelfan

No Time to be Gloomy

A highlight of the day was catching the unit Petcoke train. I've been trying to get some good photos of this unit train for years, but it has remained elusive. No sooner than a friend and myself stepped out of the local hobby shop, Sunset Junction, I saw the train heading into downtown. I...
  7. funnelfan

No Time to be Gloomy

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. BNSF had a partial shutdown on Thursday, but trains were running hot and heavy on Friday. Unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperating, and got worse as the day progressed. Even with the gloomy weather, I was still able to have a little success railfanning.
  8. funnelfan

Winter Comes Early to the Inland Empire

The Eastern Washington Gateway RR runs the former NP CW Line to Coulee City. The line has a sawtooth profile of 1.2% grades and is riddled with sharp curves. I was hired on a locomotive engineer a couple months ago, and finally got a chance to railfan my own railroad. I delivered the hopper in...
  9. funnelfan

Winter Comes Early to the Inland Empire

Winter has come early to the Inland Empire. That's the original Inland Empire you LA Basin wannabes!!! ;^P I got my first real chance Monday to get out and photograph trains in the snow (then worked 12 hours on a train, but that's another story). I first hit Marshall Canyon and scored a coal...
  10. funnelfan

CC&C #15 Visits Centralia, WA

Yes, the CCRA got paid to do this work, and it was a full days work too!
  11. funnelfan

I think several people took turns at the throttle. Really had a full crew, and many were qualified to run like Harold, Andy, Scott, Josh.
  12. funnelfan

The Great Columbia River Turkey Shoot

The special made a scheduled stop at Multnomah Falls where quite a few railfans gathered for a photo. In fact, the closer the train got to Portland, the more railfans joined the chase. I continued the chase through Portland and down the Willamette Valley. With the sun getting low and shadows...
  13. funnelfan

Just past The Dalles near Crates a small fire erupted between the tracks and river. Not too surprising given the hot days that week. Luckily it was in a sheltered spot largely absent from the winds that were just around the corner. After a nearly two hour delay the train gained clearance through...
  14. funnelfan

It was great to get the special at so many locations. This was my first time chasing the E-units on a special, and I had looked forward to this for a long time. I just never expected things to go so good. But the chase came to an abrupt halt at The Dalles........
  15. funnelfan

A couple Wednesdays ago the Union Pacific 150th special left Spokane for Eugene. The train made a hasty trip from Spokane to Page before being held up by work crews clearing the scene of some tunnel work at Ash, WA. I picked up on the train just south of Wallula at Thrasher's Curve. From there...
  16. funnelfan

The Cowlitz Chehalis & Cascade #15 was used to switch some stored railcars in Centralia and Chehalis this past Thursday. Tacoma rail called on the Centralia-Chehalis Railroad Association (CCRA) to switch the cars on relatively short notice and make them ready for pickup by the BNSF at Chehalis...
  17. funnelfan

Siskiyou Line- Buck Rock Tunnel(s)

First a little background on the Siskiyou Line. The Oregon & California RR was a state land grant railroad. Starting in Portland it built south before stalling out with the end of track in Roseburg. A second push to complete the line to the California State line before the grants expired got as...
  18. funnelfan

Logging Railroad Maps; Lewis County, WA

Continuing with my Lidar imagery post of a few days ago, I found a source of Lidar imagery for Lewis County in Washington recently. While it wasn't complete coverage, it did cover most of the western part of the county. Scouring those images and comparing it to my existing maps, I found several...
  19. funnelfan

10 Years Ago....

4. The annual Fall Color trips between Sandpoint and Plains were a low cost way to take a scenic train ride on the MRL. I think that may be Brian Ambrose leaning out of the first car. 5. A cool crisp November day was great for photography, but few trains. 6. The very next day had lots of...
  20. funnelfan

10 Years Ago....

Just poking around my photos from 10 years ago. We were already five years into the great mergers of the 90's, and things were as colorful as ever, but we had also just entered the post 9/11 work of heighten security. 1. A westbound stack train crossing from Idaho into Washington in the...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.