Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. speeder3

Not sure what model Alco this is

Southern Pacific had a couple, and the Curtis, Milburn & Eastern/Chehalis Western had one. The latter is on display in Fife, WA. Brian
  2. speeder3

MRSR: Five in Steam on May 17, 2014

After careful consideration, the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad has decided to re-schedule its SteamFest event from May 17th to Saturday, July 19, 2014. This change of date will allow MRSR to incorporate a Grand Opening celebration of its new logging museum, showcasing the completion of Phase I and...
  3. speeder3

Shay #7 leaves Camp 6 - Tacoma, WA

The fire truck is ex-Weyerhaeuser Timber. Brian
  4. speeder3

Gn 1600 sb

Is this unit actually under power? I took a good look at the 1600 some time ago and found the motor missing not only both blowers, but most of the gear train on the governor end as well as the muffler. The exhaust ports were wide open to the weather, which surely didn't speak well for the rest...
  5. speeder3

Mt Rainier Scenic RR in Tacoma 6/2 and 6/3

Nice job, Bob! I just logged on to post the announcement, and there it was already! Yes, we will be running F9 #7012A on the downhill (east) end of the train, just as we did last year. Brian Wise General Manager Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad
  6. speeder3

Mt. Rainer Scenic in Tacoma, 19-20 May 12

We have every intention of running out of FHS on June 2-3 for the opening of the Le May Museum. The track construction down there should be far enough along that we can safely board passengers at D Street. The new cars are additions to the fleet, but the one that has been painted will be...
  7. speeder3

Progress Rail did a fantastic job of painting our car (ex-MILW coach #520). We were hoping to take it and the other car (ex-MILW #545) home on the 20th, but they will have to wait a little bit longer for the line to Eatonville to get cleared up. Brian Wise General Manager Mt. Rainier...
  8. speeder3

Brian is correct. The May 19-20 special operations out of Freighthouse Square have been cancelled due to the track and street construction for the Sounder extension. We had hopes of being able to participate in the model railroad show and swap meet as we did last May, but the contractors...
  9. speeder3

Electricity created by dynamic braking fed back into US grid?

For diesel-electric locomotives with dynamic braking, there is no physical way of transferring the current generated by the traction motors to the US power grid, as you put it. There would have to be a physical connection between the locomotive and power lines running parallel to the track...
  10. speeder3

Any Camp 6 updates?

The list posted on the Camp 6 web site isn't quite correct. The Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad has received four of the ex-Polson Logging shacks, and one of the Kapowsin skid shacks. All five are now at Mineral, WA, as are the CAT D8, arch, and radial-engine powered snowmobile. The Rayonier...
  11. speeder3

Any Camp 6 updates?

I have heard no news of the Camp 6 deal so I won't speculate on what is going on right now. A few items from Camp 6 will make their way to MRSR, but just a few as we have more than enough projects already. A number of other organizations have contacted me to express their desires to acquire...
  12. speeder3

Any Camp 6 updates?

The Lidgerwood tower skidder is to be moved and restored for display by the new owner. Brian Wise
  13. speeder3

Any Camp 6 updates?

Negotiations for the sale of the assets at Camp 6 (to a single party) are progressing with final paperwork to be printed and signed soon. We an expect some of the assets to be removed from the site before the end of the summer. Brian Wise
  14. speeder3

MRSR coming to Tacoma

I had every intention of having the lagging and jacket on the boiler before the FHS event, but unforseen circumstances set us back about two weeks. It's going to be a lot of fun getting the job done in between weekend operations now. Brian T. Wise General Manager Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad
  15. speeder3

MRSR coming to Tacoma

My thanks to MRSR for bringing the Polson and NP 7012 to Tacoma. The crowds looked good so hopefully it was worth their time. Keep up the good work! You are very welcome, but I must give credit where credit is due and make sure that everyone knows that NONE of this would have been...
  16. speeder3

Camp 6 Logging Museum Closed

I am not the official spokesperson on this matter, so I will not go into any details except to say that there is a party interested in the collection at Camp 6 and that negotiations will begin very soon. I have already seen posts on Facebook stating that Shay #7 will be going to Mineral...
  17. speeder3

Polson Logging # 70 is alive

The #70 ran exceptionally well this past Sunday, so we have every confidence that she will be in operation at Freighthouse Square this coming weekend for the model rr show. Consist will be the #70, three coaches and our NP F9 on the downhill end. Tacoma Rail has been incredibly helpful with...
  18. speeder3

Some photos of my railfanning around the East Bay

Your photography is fantastic! I grew up in Pinole (PVHS Class of '82) so it's always great to see railfanning shots posted from the area. Keep up the great work! On a side note, is there anything left of the Hercules Powder Company narrow gauge trackage along the SP main? What about the...
  19. speeder3

Polson #70 at Mt Rainier -- When is first expected excursion?

Aaron, There is a small washout near Lake Kapowsin that for the time being prevents operations north of Eatonville, but TR is scheduling a repair soon. TR has agreed to allow us to operate out of Freighthouse Square in May for a model railroad show, which at this point is still very...
  20. speeder3

Logging Mallet #108 at Snoqualmie, WA

The #70 did arrive at Mineral with a cross-compound air compressor on it, but I have no idea if it in fact came off the #108. Not that it matters I suppose. The #70 was converted from a single lung pump to a cross-compound around 1940. To make the conversion, Polson Logging welded a pair of...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.