Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

1. Beverlyhelper

Kirkland WA Corridor

http://crosscut.com/2012/12/13/transportation/111952/king-county-gets-rail-business/
  2. Beverlyhelper

Diesel Cab Comparisons and Qualifying

1. Would C/E's comment on the differences between modern locomotive cabs of different models (GE vs EMD) and between the same locomotive and different railroads. Amenities, comfort, ergonomics of reaching controls, toilets, etc? I know there are options railroads can add onto their orders, and...
  3. Beverlyhelper

ALCO Museum

This is interesting news! http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Train-heritage-museum-revives-bygone-era-3623688.php?t=378164b1fc -dmg
  4. Beverlyhelper

maine narrow gauge yard office

Can anyone direct me to photographs of Maine narrow gauge railroad yard offices in the 1900-1920 period? We're reassembling a display at the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and I'm looking for photo documentation that can help guide our interpretation. Thanks! Feel free to respond to me off-list...
  5. Beverlyhelper

GCOR Rules Clarification Question

I'd like anyone's insight into the difference between general orders, circulars, instructions, and notices. The GCOR says: 1.3.2 General Orders General orders: Are numbered consecutively. Are issued and canceled by the designated manager. Contain only information and instructions...
  6. Beverlyhelper

Why do people wave at trains?

Why do people wave at trains? That’s not a Google topic that brings up anything, yet folks have waved for over a hundred and fifty years, I’m sure since trains were invented, just as they do here on the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad today in Portland. I bet someone could do a great Master’s...
  7. Beverlyhelper

Volunteering for Railroad Museums

I started this spring in Portland ME going through a 12-week historic docent training program which is sponsored by five historic organizations collaboratively. I chose the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum as the group I would like to volunteer with. I went through 21 student trips to become...
  8. Beverlyhelper

Scenic Sub Plugged

Just heard Seattle East Dispatcher telling the 4346E he was going to have to tie down at Leavenworth, as Wenatchee was plugged, they're short on crews, and it would be late in the day before anyone would come get the train. "Tie it down, lock it up and bring the keys, guys." 9:30am. Seattle...
  9. Beverlyhelper

Best Dispatcher-Train Crew Comebacks

Sometimes things get a little creative between dispatchers and train crews. Heard this one today: DS: "Well, we can play this two ways. You can go in the west end of the yard, or we can share permissions with the welding crew." TC: "We can go in the west end. Any idea how long they're going...
  10. Beverlyhelper

Stackups on the BNSF Northwest Division

I've been listening to the Wenatchee radio feed today (3/1/11 - AM), and heard references that due to the hard Havre weather there were backups all across the Northern Tier. Seattle East just told a coal empties east he could go from Wenatchee to Adrian and then had to tie down and wait for a...
  11. Beverlyhelper

Seven foot long Big Boy in Walnut

Not sure where to post this, but my brother's fourth locomotive model is finally finished: http://photos.msn.com/Viewing/Album.aspx?PST=8nK2AN1B!1JmZao!iR2CwzgoKRmPN0Tpra1KKhuJ!oQIDp4NRIY*Arfk1cg1koOXNxAghga2gbT0zo6g89nDOA%24%24 He's done three previously: Milwaukee Bi-Polar, NYC J Class...
  12. Beverlyhelper

Late Amtraks in Washington

Read yesterday that 7 and 27 were way late, and today, #7 is just coming onto Wenatchee around 10:55am, and calling looking for "an old style MU hose" because BNSF has "those new fangled handy dandy stuff" that doesn't fit Amtrak equipment. So there are a series of calls around Wenatchee yard...
  13. Beverlyhelper

Different Dispatchers and Different Railroads

Listening in on various RailroadRadio.net channels has raised for me interesting questions on different dispatching techniques and styles. For instance, "Dennis," who dispatches days on the Gateway Sub of the BNSF has a laid back kind of style, almost lilting vocal style, melodic in a way, and...
  14. Beverlyhelper

Gateway Sub Reports

Some interesting action down there, a report of 64 axles, around Westwood, and conversation between crew and dispatcher at 4:20am about how many on board? "15 or so." "Are the military still on board?" "No, but I sure could have used them back there with the rock." Lots of chuckles back and...
  15. Beverlyhelper

Stampede Pass Diary

I've been posting almost daily reports on traffic over Stampede Pass for awhile over on the Truth or Rumor - Stampede Pass and it's been suggested I move my reports over here with its own thread. So here I be. I can hear trains from about MP124 to Stampede, and the Pasco East dispatcher...
  16. Beverlyhelper

Rail Train in Portland ME

A welded rail train made its way slowly through N. Portland yesterday, tying up crossings and ticking off a lot of motorists. I suspect they were laying out rail north of Forest Avenue, where there is still jointed track. A few days ago, PAR 1-2, the F units Pan Am has, came and went through...
  17. Beverlyhelper

Internet railroad radio links for Maine?

Anyone know of sites for hearing Maine railroads on the Internet? I haven't found any doing a quick search. I'm particularly interested in Portland ME area. I'm new to this region and trying to learn the layout around here. Thanks!
  18. Beverlyhelper

Trip advice through Nebraska

I'm headed east in a week and will be following the Powder River lines down from Sheridan through Gillette and Bill to Lusk,WY. From there, I'm not certain what route to take to parallel the UP into Lincoln. Any advice would be most appreciated!
  19. Beverlyhelper

Snow Delays on NE Corridor

Latest report from Washington Post: Amtrak Sat. service cut Amtrak has widespread cancellations Saturday. There is no word yet on Sunday service. Carolinian trains 79 and 80 will operate only between Raleigh and Charlotte with no alternate transportation between New York and Raleigh...
  20. Beverlyhelper

Strange Film - RR by James Benning

If you want to see full train runbys with a fixed camera, this is the film for you! All 111 minutes of it. It was shown at the Northwest Film Forum in Seattle this evening, one night only. James Benning is a reasonably well-known independent filmmaker who created this in 2008. He set out to...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com