Search results

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

1. G

Another set of photos from Taylor

I'm a little late in posting this due to a busy schedule this week, but I benefitted from the weather we had Saturday. With the threat of heavy rain, UT baseball's annual alumni game was cancelled, meaning I had four more hours of free time to fill. So I set out for small assignment for my...
  2. G

Lucky Catches in Round Rock

So Saturday wasn't supposed to be a day for me to get out and get some photos, but it turned out that way. I originally went up to the Dick's Sporting Goods in north Austin to get a baseball scorebook since I'm covering UT baseball for The Daily Texan this semester. But when I walked out, a...
  3. G

Last Catch Before Spring Semester

So with classes not starting until Tuesday because of MLK Day, I decided to take the opportunity to railfan a bit in the Austin area. I originally was going to set up shop at McNeil, but eventually decided to go right on through to Taylor. It ended up working out as five minutes after parking in...
  4. G

Lunch Stop in Temple

So the winter break is coming to an end for me and I made the trek back to Austin for the spring semester. Along the way I stopped in Temple at Subway and then drove into downtown, parking by the tracks near the Santa Fe Depot there. I ended up pulling up in time as the southbound BNSF general...
  5. G

Railfanning My "Home" Subdivision

So for the first time that I can remember, I was able to get out Saturday and Monday to railfan a bit on my "home" subdivision, Union Pacific's Midlothian Sub, as it rolls through Mansfield. Unfortunately, my brother and I were only able to get out for a little bit Saturday, taking scenic photos...
  6. G

Photo Story of Austin Steam Train Association

Back in the Spring, I had to do a photo story for the photo portion of the "Reporting: Images" course at the University of Texas. I ended up doing it on Bert Dockall, former engineer for Santa Fe and Amtrak and current engineer for ASTA. I got to ride in the cab on the run up to Burnet and back...
  7. G

Back at it

So after a few years off of the forum (not that I truly got started I guess), I'm back at it railfanning again. I got a Canon T3i for Christmas and after taking a photojournalism course in the Spring at UT, I'd figure I would try my luck with photographing trains. As is my family's tradition...
  8. G

Hoping to see something

It's been quite a while but I'm going back to Brenham for Thanksgiving and hoping to see more trains. As usual, I'll have live video at http://greatusrailfan.byethost6.com/live-video/. You can also follow on Twitter @GreatUS_Railfan. Hope to have pictures up next week after all is said and done.
  9. G

Merry Christmas and a heads up

First and foremost, Merry Christmas to you all. I'll be heading down to Brenham tomorrow and hope to do some watching, especially Tuesday in hopes of catching the Blue Bell train. I'll be posting updates on Twitter (@Great_USRailfan) as well as on my blog...
  10. G

A Photo from last year

I took this photo last year in Brenham. I'm just wondering what y'all think about it. BTW, this is an engine at the end of the train so it's going away from me.
  11. G

Looking for a cheap Canon

Right now, I have a Kodak point-and-shoot and it works just fine for me, but I want to upgrade to a possible low end Canon or something similar to that. Does anyone know of anything like that? Thanks in advance.
  12. G

Playing around with my photo editor

I got bored today so I decided to have fun with GIMP, my photo editing software. Of all the photos I edited, I have to say that this is one of my favorites. Let me know what you think.
  13. G

My best shot... so far

This is probably my best photo from 2 years ago. I want to know what your thoughts on it are. Thanks in advance.
  14. G

Another Wonderful Adventure in Brenham

So, this past Thanksgiving Break, we went down to Brenham like we always do. To kill time on Friday and Saturday, we parked at a couple of spots and waited for trains. Needless to say, it was a success. We saw seven trains in two days. I wish I could embed video here, but you can see the video...
  15. G

Creating a Texas Route for Trainz

http://greatusrailfan.byethost6.com/2010/12/creating-a-trainz-for-texas/ So I've decided to try to create a Trainz Route that involves a good deal of Texas. Only one problem: I'm not the best when it comes to creating a realistic route. If you've got any pointers or can help me in any way...
  16. G

A Fan From Texas

Howdy! I'm Jacob from the great state of Texas. I'm in high school and ever since I was little I've always had a love for trains. I do have a train blog at http://greatusrailfan.byethost6.com/. I hope you check it out!
  17. G

My Rail Blog

http://greatusrailfan.byethost6.com/ It's not much yet, but I'm hoping to get it up there soon. One of the cool features I have is live video of when I'm watching trains. Check it out!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com