Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The afternoon Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was on time and back to its usual single unit. With daylight savings time ending this Sunday, the Puget Sound Region will soon be entering the Dark Ages and my days of photographing the afternoon passenger parade in the daylight are rapidly coming to an end for 2018.

09.jpg

10.jpg

An Everett bound Sounder taken Wednesday evening (10-31-18) by my son with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. I think the photo has an autumn look about it. I am trying to teach him when to zoom in and when to back off. He is developmentally disabled and some things need lots of practice before he understands the concepts.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Saturday's (11-3-18) Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was exceptionally short with only four Superliners and a baggage car.

IMG_0001.jpg

This will be the last "daylight" Builder of the year as we switch to standard time early tomorrow morning.

IMG_0002.jpg

I really like the first photo in #242. Having the boats up high and the train down low makes you wonder "why are the boats up there?"
Good job! Also the Sounder appears to be plowing through the bushes. Thank you, son of Bill.

Rick Zorko

Late Tuesday afternoon (11-6-18) two self-propelled buckets were scurrying to get into the Edmonds spur ahead of the afternoon passenger parade.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Grab shot of the 4:30pm Everett bound Sounder passing the marsh as sunset approaches.

03.jpg

Interesting power rolled through Edmonds on Veterans Day (Sunday, 11-12-18), but I was never in the right place for photos. I had just arrived at the marsh and was unloading my equipment when a northbound (tt/east) passed by, lead by an SD40-2 followed by more older power in the consist.

01.jpg

Trailing unit was FURX 5527. I have seen this diesel go through town before, also as a trailing unit.

02.jpg

I was out on the fishing pier when a northbound light power hop of 4-5 older diesels went through town. The ferry was docked, which kept me from even getting grab shots. After the ferry left, I got a shot of a leased unit on the rear DPU set of a southbound (tt/west).

03.jpg

My son did get a good shot from Brackett's Landing of a southbound with a KCS Southern Belle unit in the consist followed by two Boeing 737 fuselages. The train was waiting at MP 18 for a northbound.

04.jpg

On the tail of the fuselage train was another southbound headed by older power, one of which was still in Cascade green.

05.jpg

Last edited:
A northbound (tt/east) oil tanker passed by the marsh Tuesday afternoon (11-14-18). If it is in the right position, I like to include the Port of Edmonds sign on the boat mover in the storage lot across the tracks as a means of identifying the location.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Unlike Monday, I was in position Tuesday to get shots of a northbound light power hop.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Monday I ran into a railfan friend on Sunset Ave. who said BNSF is now running super trains over 10,000 ft. long. That is nearly two miles. o_O

Gonna be fun lugging that replacement coupler when the train separates 9000 ft to the rear.

In the middle of nowhere.

I also wonder about the problem of the head end units losing radio contact with the rear and/or mid train DPUs around bends in the mountains and along Puget Sound. I have heard this already happens with trains of standard length.

I have been watching the La Plata, MO web cam and there are regularly 12,000 and 16,000 ft trains. But no mountains to contend with across MO and KS. Keep those pics coming Bill, I do so enjoy the PNW.

I have been watching the La Plata, MO web cam and there are regularly 12,000 and 16,000 ft trains. But no mountains to contend with across MO and KS. Keep those pics coming Bill, I do so enjoy the PNW.

Thanks. I always worry that photos from the same locations will get boring.

Thursday (11-15-18) afternoon I walked a short ways into the marsh from the #3 viewing platform. This provided me with a different view of the tracks and MoW equipment arriving to tie up at the Edmonds spur ahead of the evening passenger parade.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

I later went to the fishing pier where I got a a twilight shot of a southbound (tt/west) rolling along Brown's Bay. Twilight can last all day this time of year if it is overcast.

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:
Near noon on Friday (11-16-18) I caught this southbound (tt/west) local at Sunset Ave. Its power may have been the the same as the northbound power hop I missed photographing a few days earlier.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
About four hours later the light power set sans 3150 returned northbound (tt/east) while I was at the marsh looking for birds. Taken by my son with the 7DII + 16-35L wide angle zoom I had him bring along for shots of passing trains, "marshscapes," and the sunset.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

He also took these shots of a southbound CN oil tanker.

09.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a used series III Canon 2x teleconverter which I keep attached to my 500L telephoto lens as my regular telephoto combo for photographing birds. I had it mounted to the 5DIII as the train passed by, so I attempted some Itsed65 super telephoto shots interspersed with my son's photos.

11.jpg

12.jpg

rear DPU

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
16.jpg

The sun is setting very far south these days. I may try sunset shots from the marsh in addition to my usual photos from Sunset Ave.

7DII + 16-35L telephoto zoom using the HDR feature. Handheld @ 1/125, f/22, auto ISO = 2000. I took a series of shots using negative exposure compensation. I believe this one was -1.

01.jpg

Back to regular feature @ 1/250, f/16, auto ISO = 20000. The 7DII with its crop frame sensor does not handle high ISO settings well. I need to bring along my smaller tripod so I can shoot at slower shutter speeds to lower the ISO settings.

02.jpg

Last edited:
Late Saturday afternoon (11-17-18) my son photographed three older units pulling a northbound (tt/east) past the marsh.

279: SD75M

IMG_0001.jpg

1469: SD60M (still holding out in Cascade green)

IMG_0002.jpg

1419: SD60M

IMG_0003.jpg

My son and I took advantage of a brief sun break Friday (11-23-18) to get out and take some photos.

Southbound (tt/west) with two older diesels up front and two Boeing bunker cars in the rear rolling past the marsh. Question for the locals: is this the Renton Rocket?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Continued.....

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back