Recent content by Steve Thompson

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. S

North Coast Limited Video April 1968

locations Thanks a bunch Ken! That will really help. A question for all, I have 40 or so color slides taken by NP engineer Tom (TC) Miller that are from the same era and similar scenes, but much sharper of course. Should I include them in the video, mixed in with the film in...
  2. S

Centralia to Vancouver locations Ken, Out of order? You bet they are! The were on 50' reels of 8mm film, mixed in with family stuff, in no particular order when I started. I've ridden that line quite a few times, but not enough to recognize many of the views. I'm hoping that others...
  3. S

I finally got my old 8mm movies of the NCL digitized, edited and posted over at Vimeo NCL Video I rode the NCL from East Auburn to St. Paul during spring vacation when I was 16 and shot 8mm movies from the Vista-Dome. I wish I'd shot more and caught our train from the ground, but there are...
  4. S

McCloud #25 at OCSR ?

Coming that way! It looks like we will be coming up the coast on Sunday from Port Orford. Assuming we can get there early enough, I'll ride or if late, at least get some photos and see her. We have to head back south early Monday, so this is a very quick trip, but I'm hopefull that I can get...
  5. S

McCloud #25 at OCSR ?

Wonderful news! Very cool and congratulations! I hope to see you and 25 soon. Thanks, Steve
  6. S

McCloud #25 at OCSR ?

Is the #25 operating out of Garibaldi yet? We plan a trip up the coast in the next couple weeks, but only as far as Newport. If the 25 is operating, I'll try to talk my wife into a ride and an extra day up there. Steve
  7. S

Oregon Coast Scenic RR update

Congratulations! She sure looks great! Any idea of when the engine shed will get done? I assume she's a bit too long. I'll be up that way in mid August and will keep my fingers crossed! Steve
  8. S

Anyone else fed up with Railpictures.net?

The advertising is the worst style imaginable. Trying to see a photo while things go bananas all over is far to annoying. I never look at anything posted there nor will I buy any product that advertises in that manner. Steve
  9. S

Ever wish you'd shot color instead of b&w?

B&W to Color or Color to B&W? I'll certainly admit to having converted many of my color shots to black and white. I guess, to me, it depends on the image and also, how I'm going to display it. Most look at least as good in B&W, but not all. Sometimes details just blend in with the...
  10. S

Camp 6 Logging Museum Closed

Camp 6 first day was a happy time Jack Anderson and I were working there on opening day (and before) He's gone and now so is Camp 6. It's sad to see, as Tacoma pretty much owes it's existance to logging and the Railroads. It's a poor economy and the stuff is going to be expensive to...
  11. S

McCloud #25 Arrives in Tillamook

Maybe a fund raiser with catapults and basketballs! That building is huge, just driving by it makes me feel like I've been shrunk. Again, I'll say, I can hardly wait to see her running. We'll be up this summer. Steve
  12. S

Rayonier "End of Steam" 49 Years Ago Today

Rayonier's steam operations officially ended with an open house at Railroad Camp, near Humptulips WA on 3-31-62. There was still some steam operation until sometime in 1967, but the main show, with daily steam powered log trains was over, as the diesels came on the property. I recently...
  13. S

Ever wish you'd shot color instead of b&w?

Nice Job Craig! It's a lot of fun to do these. Steve
  14. S

NP 2626, the Timken in Portland, 1933

I don't know who was first, but the NP released for bids, the A-2, 4-8-4 plans in august of 1933. The roller bearing equipped 2650 left Eddystone on 9/10/34. Steve
  15. S

NP 2626, the Timken in Portland, 1933

Timken photo date In October of 1934, at her first major shopping at the South Tacoma Shops, she received, among other things, a standard NP headlight, which is quite distinctive, very different from the one in the photo. The tender sides were also straightened so she could carry more coal, as...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.