Recent content by K-Pack

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

1. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

I haven't heard anything about Stampede Tunnel, but the change in variety of trains has been very welcome. There have been a lot more manifests than what I was expecting. Seems like almost one a day. Also had a couple of military trains roll through last week....first train was nearly all...
  2. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Dave, most of the traffic on these subs is Eastbound empty grain. There are some empty coal and some empty oil thrown in there. A few times there have been the odd baretable train roaming around, and once a loaded military train. Seen a few ballast trains heading westbound against the flow...
  3. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Anyone know of scheduled track work on the Stampede or Yakima subs? I just saw that they are staging a bunch of MOW equipment in Ellensburg. 8 or 9 87' flatcars with a tractor or two on them (otherwise empty), a lot of various MOW track vehicles, and an assortment of large hi-rail vehicles...
  4. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Redlynx - Typically trains will run through Eburg with either no stop or a short one. However, talking to one my friends who is an engineer on this line, he says trains will park at Eburg if the crew is up on time. Those trains will sit until another crew is found for them (usually brought up...
  5. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

I saw the power for the E-burg local (2 SD40-2's.....BNSF 1668 and 1836) taking 3 empty gons up the Stampede Sub towards Cle Elum/Easton on March 22nd. Never seen a local head up that direction as there are no industries to switch there anymore. I can only assume that they spotted the gons at...
  6. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Just heard that tunnel 4 and possibly the attached snowshed have collapsed due to large boulders and trees. Stampede is closed at least 24 hours, with trains waiting in Auburn to depart. Happened sometime this afternoon. Kevin
  7. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Yesterday was 9 trains, today was about the same. Nearly all empty grain now, with maybe one or two others mixed in during the day....an empty oil or empty coal. Looks like the grain rush is in full swing. How long is it supposed to last? -Kevin
  8. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Still mostly EB empties. Mostly empty grain right now, a few empty coal (mostly RD-4's, only seen a few Bethgons), and a few empty oil. Every once in a while there is an empty feed/fertilizer....at least that's what I assume. Those trains are made up entirely of gray LO's, mostly 4 bay but...
  9. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Correction, there are indeed 3 SD70ACe's on the front of that train. That brings the total to 8 locos on the one train. If I heard the scanner correctly they will be tying it down for the night. Never seen that many locos on a train here ever. Odd, especially considering it's just an empty...
  10. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Dave, this train is sitting in Ellensburg right now on the siding. Been there since this morning. I didn't get a great view of the head-end, but from what I saw it is two SD70ACe's, one ES44AC, 2 SD70MACs (Executives). The DPUs are SD70MAC (heritage 2) and ES44AC. It's really strange to see...
  11. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

It's still the EB leg of the iron triangle. Ellensburg is the last point serviced by locals, apparently on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In the last year though I have seen two westbounds heading up Stampede. Both were ballast trains performing maintenance somewhere up the line. A rare...
  12. K-Pack

BNSF Yakima Valley Sub questions

Thanks! That is just the info I was looking for, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm now getting a much clearer picture of how things run around here. A quick follow-up question if you don't mind. I've only seen the Ellensburg local two times and both times it had dual SD40-2's...
  13. K-Pack

BNSF Yakima Valley Sub questions

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right subsection for this question but here it goes anyways. I'm relatively new to the Yakima Valley area and have become interested in modeling BNSF's Yak Sub operations in HO scale. I've learned quite a bit by researching and trackside watching on the...
  14. K-Pack

Original WarBonnet in Seattle

SD45 - nice picture. That is a c44-9W though, not a C40-8W. There are some C40-8W's left in warbonnet, though not many. BNSF sold off about half of their C40-8W's to CN a few years ago. The others had been in storage but many have since been pulled out and placed back in service due to power...
  15. K-Pack

Stampede Pass Diary

Speaking of baretables, I saw a train just roll through the Stampede to the Yakima Sub and at first glance it looked to be baretable. Closer inspection (it was in the distance) revealed it to be an empty ribbon rail train, pulled by two heritage 1 units. First time I've seen anything ribbon...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com