Recent content by Boris

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Boris

Claim says 'Cascades' trainset in fatal accident had electrical defect

Exactly! And a qualified Engineer is supposed to know where the 30MPH curves are at, and comply with the restriction, not taking it at 50MPH faster than maximum permitted speed. The cause is the locomotive operator operating his train at speeds in excess of the maximum authorized speed. In...
  2. Boris

I have this bad habit, of offering anecdotal situations that really don't make much sense, although I have experienced them in real life. Take the Acela equipment, for instance. Back in 2002 and for a time after, this equipment was undergoing acceptance testing not only on the Main Lines between...
  3. Boris

When discussing railroad accidents, keep in mind that the probable cause or causes are known long before the government agency releases its findings. Railroad officials conduct their own investigations, beginning with the initial report of the accident and beyond depending on the complexity of...
  4. Boris

Amtrak to Improve National Network Locomotive Fleet

Wow, has it been that long? I remember when the P42s were phasing out the F40s. I can also state that I managed to get one up to 110MPH on the Harrisburg Line, before having to break for a curve restriction ;)
  5. Boris

CSX Solicits Bids on Six Additional Rail Segments

This is reminiscent of what Conrail did back when it was eliminating redundant and unproductive line segments. The Massena Line which links Syracuse with Montreal offers a lot of possibilities to short line operators. Not sure about the other lines. Boris
  6. Boris

My Capitol Corridor Compilation 2017-2018

Nice video Alex. I enjoyed it.
  7. Boris

Lapeer Industrial Railroad

That is a neat little diesel. What does this short line haul?
  8. Boris

Brightline Miami Service Opening Celebration 5/19 & 5/20/18

Now, that's the way to run a railroad. !
  9. Boris

Canada, Quebec to fund Lac-Megantic rail bypass

Interesting that Trudeau would spend the money on this route, but I can understand the feelings of the residents. Good for the PM. The accident itself shows that one man crews and shortlines with megar resources have their limitations.
  10. Boris

Meals for Train Crews

It depends on the assignment, the railroad, and the working conditions. I have worked jobs where we brought our lunches with us, and other jobs where we were able to stop enroute . The agreement provides for a 20" meal period in the yard, between 4½ and 6 hours on duty, or "A "Reasonable time...
  11. Boris

GE Transportation acquired by Wabtec?

Interesting development.
  12. Boris

AMTRAK CEO: PHASING OUT LONG DISTANCE TRAINS IN FAVOR OF “CORRIDORS”.

Sounds like CEO Anderson, doesn't like to answer hard questions, he doesn't have a prepared answer for. I don't envy his position and would not want his job. He runs a quasi-Government Agency, controlled and governed by a Cabinet level department, and almost totally dependent on annual...
  13. Boris

RPA’s T-REX plan wants to integrate NYC area systems

We had this once, it was called the Metropolitan region of CONRAIL, but the Government planners had a better idea. And created three or four distinct agencies to run what the private railroads had run much more efficiently. So, If we do this, what happens to all the freight traffic on the...
  14. Boris

Strike at Canadian Pacific Railway postponed for now, unions say

Not for nothing, but the CP was also paying Hunter Harrison a premium salary...guess there is nothing left for the people who actually make the CP run.:rolleyes:
  15. Boris

Hunter Harrison among 10 highest paid CEOs in 2017.

Wow! Too bad he couldn't take it with him :rolleyes:. No way he was worth what they paid him, no matter how much the stock price increased.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)