Recent content by bogray

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Circus Train

Circus Train

After an hour of waiting around, I had given up on the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Blue train and was headed for the barn. As I approached the grade crossing at Rosemont Garden, the flashers lit up and the gates lowered. I looked to my right and there was the Blue train with a...
  2. TTI and a Tree

TTI and a Tree

Blue sky and bright sunshine light up the scene as TTI #5902, on the point of a coal drag, rolls into this scene
  3. Red, White and Geeps

Red, White and Geeps

During a February 2010 snowstorm, a sweet pair of RJ Corman GP9's bring the Beltline Job toward Rupp Yard. This angle shows the difference between the old red/silver Corman livery and the newer all-red paint scheme.
  4. Ice Train

Ice Train

The 2011 edition of Steamtown's Ice Harvest Excursion train powers through East Scranton, PA on its way to Tobyhanna in the Pocono Mountains. Many thanks to the owner of that Model A for leaving it sitting out in the snow near the railroad tracks!
  5. Electric!

Electric!

If it's summer in Iowa, there must be thunderstorms! Iowa Traction, one of the last remaining U.S. electric freight railroads in regular service, works in the Mason City, IA area...so scenes like this one are not unusual. Still, this tremendous thunderhead was impressive enough that even...
  6. Mile Marker

Mile Marker

Rolling through typical Indiana farmland, NKP #765 passes a classic concrete mile marker on her way to Lacrosse, IN.
  7. Railroad Street

Railroad Street

Heading out of North Judson, IN along Railroad Street; NKP #765 begins another excursion run to Lacrosse, IN.
  8. NKP Coaling Tower

NKP Coaling Tower

This impressive coaling tower still stands in Frankfort, Indiana...a former division point on the Nickel Plate. I'm no civil engineer, but the tower appears to be about the tallest structure in town...perhaps only the courthouse dome is taller. (The old N&W "No Tresspassing" sign...
  9. Sunrise Special

Sunrise Special

The sun is trying to break through the clouds as CSX's business car special rolls past horse farms enroute to Midway, KY where invited guests will board for a VIP trip to the Kentucky Derby. This would be the last appearance by the sun as clouds and showers rule the rest of the day.
  10. Car Wash

Car Wash

What better way to spend the day before the Kentucky Derby than scrubbing one of the Derby special trains. Workers at RJ Corman's Rupp Yard clean the CSX OCS coaches which will carry invited guests to Louisville for the festivities at Churchill Downs.
  11. Train, Bo

Train, Bo

Looks like the pot 'o gold at the end of the "train-bow" is an NS SD40-2; seen here working the yard in Lexington, KY.
  12. B

Comment by 'bogray' in media 'Pingdingshan Coal Collector'

Terrific shot and amazing atmosphere...well done!
  13. B

Comment by 'bogray' in media 'Haulin' Hoods'

Interestingly enough, just last weekend (3/7/09) I spotted another NB truckload of hoods at almost exactly the same spot on I-65 in Nashville at nearly the same time of day. This time, however, I was headed SB and had no chance to get a photo.
  14. B

Comment by 'bogray' in media '"It won't lock up"'

Amazing shot...well done!
  15. B

Comment by 'bogray' in media 'CP 9630 North'

cool shot...the b/w treatment works well!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back