Recent content by BNSFEng

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)
  1. BNSFEng

Arlington, WA NP Depot

I believe it is a tourist information site somewhere northeast in town near an old railroad bridge. Not real sure, though.
  2. BNSFEng

BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

Well that matches the picture from space. Thanks, Bruce for the link.
  3. BNSFEng

It appears they did. The truss girder on the left looks new and shorter than the one replaced..
  4. BNSFEng

We will ALWAYS have to ring the bell alongside the platform, while moving our train, and once passing the Whistle Board until fully occupying the crossings. If the system fails, we will see by indicator lights and blow the horn as required by rule. AND, as usual the Engineer has FINAL say if...
  5. BNSFEng

My commuter train is now faster by about 45 seconds or more since I don’t have to slow down to 35 mph at MP 27. The question is: will that 45 mph section be increased to 50 mph since the switch is good for 50 mph?
  6. BNSFEng

It has been stated that a new yard is to be built where the old golf course was. This is important for staging trains. The exact size and layout I don’t know but it will get trains off the main and allow moving trains to move where they need to go. To know that the work is going on is encouraging.
  7. BNSFEng

Hey, Mark, they put in a #24 at MP 27 on the Scenic sub and according to my bosses, they plan to double track next year both single track sections: MP 16 - 18 and 27-28. Now, looking at the switch, the last couple of days, it looks like another #24 could go in there between that new switch and...
  8. BNSFEng

BNSF derailment kills one

If PTC was in effect, it doesn't tell you where exactly a train is ahead of you. The engineer still has to go restricted speed and that is sometimes down to 1 mph. I haven't heard what happened but it is the Transcon and PTC is working there.
  9. BNSFEng

Claim says 'Cascades' trainset in fatal accident had electrical defect

Correct. The locomotives have no tilting mechanisms. Only their shock absorbers which smooth out the ride for us poor engineers.
  10. BNSFEng

Claim says 'Cascades' trainset in fatal accident had electrical defect

Being an engineer that runs commuters to work and home M-F, there has been a time or two over the last 14 years, that I've had to slow down (before PTC) when I thought I was one place but realized I'm at another. My internal clock warned me to act NOW. At 79 - 80 MPH those miles fly by at 45...
  11. BNSFEng

King Street / Amtrak Coach Yard

Hey. It's been awhile. The King Nine Platform now has the long awaited gate which is directly east from the North East Gate at the stadium. The gate has a lock on the Century Link side. A Sound Transit ticket machine, up on the north end, is fully operational. At the gate it's self are, two...
  12. BNSFEng

SD75I-3? at Interbay. BNSF 283 is at the service track at Interbay Roundhouse 8/28

Now more overhauled and repainted SD60Ms are showing up. BNSF 1412 and 1415 are in the Seattle area.
  13. BNSFEng

Rare GP 60M @ Interbay, WA and in new paint BNSF paint scheme.

Another GP60M-3 seen was BNSF 138 hanging around the roundhouse on Monday 3/19. Looks like they keep on shipping the SD75Ms and GP60M-3s out here.
  14. BNSFEng

NTSB to Determine Cause of Roswell, New Mexico Rail Accident

It comes down to what are the reporting rules of the railroad to the dispatcher after clearing the mainline. It’s not rocket science for a brakeman to line back a switch after you clear and report to the conductor the switch is lined back for mainline movement which needs to be reported to the...
  15. BNSFEng

SD75I-3? at Interbay. BNSF 283 is at the service track at Interbay Roundhouse 8/28

Still a few Geeps in Green. Also that was me going by at 1735 with the third Commuter train.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.