Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Sutherland caboose
Until this year Sutherland had everything you'd want at the shops - a snowplow, TRACKMOBILE, switchers, etc. but still lacked a caboose.

On July 18th, this old cab came into town, and has been sitting at the shops ever since. He is most likely a Regina transfer, as they had three sitting there at the shops, when I came through in Aug. 06, and now there aren't any. Looks like he's stored, coupled to the snow plow most of the time. Maybe the wayfreights will use him in the winter.

Note that his right side is missing a ditch lights and marker lights (proper name?) at the top. Oddly the left side still had them intact - great for left turns only signalling. Sadly he's covered with graffiti on the side.

You can see the West yard switcher, CP 1501-1533, GP7u/GP9u set, working the lead track in the background.
Russian, you are right, the red placard is a marker light. Notice on the side of the caboose there is a green lense, while the other three lenses are knocked out? Those were marker lights as well. Refer to Rule 19 in the CROR - http://www.tc.gc.ca/railway/cror/signals_general.htm .

In addition the over town yard was whining about not having something to ride the point with going downtown. They were getting tired of riding the end of a car for five miles. So they got a caboose from Regina, and now the don't use it because it takes a little extra work to get it on their drag. So they go downtown with the engine leading and usually run around their grain or what have you downtown - that's the foreman on that job for you.

They tried to make me put it on when I worked the 2300k, but I refused, it was their caboose; thus, their job and I wasn't picking up the slack for them. I had enough slack to pick up between the day and afternoon yards.

Either way, the caboose is here to stay for surely through the winter. Just so you know, the inside has nothing. The only thing remaining is a stretcher and the seats in the cupola, otherwise it is basically stripped bare. Cheers.

Media information

Category
Caboose
Added by
Romet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back