Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Metaphoric Favourite Location
A

Metaphoric Favourite Location

When I first saw this month's topic, I thought "You beauty - this will be easy". Practically a free kick 20m from the goal and right in front! But when it got down to selection it was anything but easy. How could I distinguish a sweltering day somewhere on the more remote parts of the Moura line, from a tropical evening at Yeerongpilly loco, surrounded by the four-stroke chant of elderly ALCos, from the damp greenness of a misty day just south of the tunnel at Rhyndaston? Well, try as I might I cannot do that without being entirely arbitrary. So I've chosen this month to go a bit more metaphorical.

My favourite location is this: I have some precious spare time to devote to rail photography so here I am by the tracks, The grain silos suggest railway, as does the reflection in the foreground. The sun is down but there's still some light in the sky. This is the Magic Hour! And while there is no train in this view, the green signal in the distance speaks of anticipation soon to be fulfilled - perhaps by an empty grain train, or a container train or maybe a petrol train. Who knows just now, but the answer is not far away.

For those that need to know, the location is Forest Hill, just west of Ipswich, sometime in 2000.

Camera: SRT100
Lens: Vivitar 28mm
Exposure: Typically, for me, not recorded!
Film: K64
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Buildings and Structures
Added by
Alan Shaw
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back