Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Green machines

Green machines

This sighting today interrupted my reading while my train was being loaded at Blayney. Two Freight Australia T class wander along with the grain for Friskies cat food factory. T408 and T371 were originally Victorian Railway units. From 1955 a total of 94 T class were built for VR, being divided into three subclasses, discernible by body shape. The shape of these two units being the final subclass. The G8B subclasses being 875 hp and the G18B final class being 1000 hp.
After the passing of these "southern interlopers", my fumbling in the work bag for the camera, I returned my concentration to reading.

Aussie Alco.
A
Very interesting scene. Never seen pics of those locomotives before, they look good, but aren't they running wrong way round?

Alan, these green things were originally "mexican" (Victoria State) VR units. To afford the crew some collision protection at the plethora of level crossings, many of the VR hood units were designated as long hood leading.
Naturally, the hood units can operate in either direction. So, in the case of this photo, either the preference of the Freight Australia crew, or simply the way the two units were pointing when marshalled together. NSW motorists claim to be superior to the "mexicans", but perhaps this crew didn't concur with this opinion. HA!
Aussie Alco.

Ah the T class. A neat looking unit. What is the hp on those pups?

Greg Elems

Greg, there were originally three versions of the Victorian Railway T class built. This pair would be the G18B version 1000 hp with 645E donk. Naturally, there have been numerous changes made to various units, however there were some of this version of the T class built for standard gauge. VR being broad gauge 5'3".

Aussie Alco.

A few assumptions here....Usually locomotives are about 15 feet high, and I assume this is the same down there. If so, those grain cars look rather short. What kind of capacity are those cars?

Ken, Aussie loading gauge is more restrictive than in the USA. The locos shown here are 13 feet 11 inches tall. As the FA grain hoppers are ex VR (Victorian Railway), I don't know any thing about them. I have grabbed my TOC manual and the FA grain hopper code VHHX listed has a gross weight of 76 tonnes thus a capacity of 53 tonnes of grain, 15.5 metres in length. I am presuming that this is the particular hopper seen in this shot. Being ex VR, these hoppers would have originally travelled the VR 5'3" broad gauge system.

Aussie Alco.

Media information

Category
International Freight Trains
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back