Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

The Trade-off
rgcx

The Trade-off

Former WP lines received flocks of MP gp38's for former WP gp40's for the MoPac of Texas. This was the power for the Boca Loyalton job at the Portola yard.
No, I haven't seen the film. I know from the post UP-MP-WP merger of 1982 that WP geeps were assigned to MP lines because the MP wanted higher horsepower for its intermodal traffic and WP needed lower hp for switching. UP gp30's were originally sent to the former WP and performed miserably. They failed and were retired on the spot.

The GP30's were retired along with the GP7's, GP9's and GP20's. I worked with the GP30's in Stockton, and they were different but they did the job and did it better than the ex-MKT GP40's that came out. UP retired all the 567's in favore of the 645's.

Thanks for the personal insight to the gp30s. I enjoyed watching and hearing the Rio Grande ones work the Colfax helper on Donner in the early 90s.

I remember the Rio Grande GP30's also. I think they were in better condition than the UP's and they put on a great show in the central valley on the locals. I just wish I had taken more pictures of them.

MP 2026 was originally MP 875, later became HLCX 2026, GTW 5706, GTW 4906.
0568897-R1-000-_25.jpg

IMG_2588_1.JPG

Media information

Category
Vintage Freight Train Photos - Diesel Era
Added by
rgcx
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back