Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Climbing Parkman
steveeshom

Climbing Parkman

A westbound coal train climbs Wyoming's Parkman hill in the wide open spaces just north of Sheridan. To make it up this hill, a pair of SD60Ms helpers is tacked on to the back of the DPU. October 16, 2002.
Good use of what little light there was. I like the crop, you have made the best of a featureless location.:up:
It looks like they sounded good though.

This is better than 5/5! Beautiful! And featureless?!! Available light?!! No way! This shows what Wyoming looks like! When I get to work tomorrow, it's going onto my desktop background and into my Favorites right now!

You guys are too kind...thanks for the nice comments! I have to agree with Ross about this being what Wyoming looks like. In fact that is why I liked this shot so much myself, it shows the surrounding countryside like it is. One of my goals with this shot was show the grade a bit since it looks so cool out in the middle of the fields.

S
I'll echo 16CVST on your use of the light - it shouldn't have worked but it did. I like the landscape you captured.

Hey Steveeshom, just an additional comment. One of my interests is looking on a map to find the locations of photos I like. I've dug out my Wyoming Delorme and I figure you took it up near the Montana border close to Pass Creek Road. Am I right? (If you'd rather, email me the answer)

Ross, unfortunately I don't have a Delorme atlas of Wyoming in hand so my location for you will be a bit rough. This shot is ~1.5 miles west of the west siding switch Ranchester and still inside Wyoming. The switch and the town are just out of the photo behind the trees and the DPU. On the map this curve would be the first left-hand (toward the northwest) curve north of the town of Ranchester and at the end of one of the longest straight sections between Sheridan and Aberdeen. The main road through here (shows as 451 in Montana) is paralleling the track about 150 ft. to the left of the photo.

Steve and Ross, you are close on the location, but it is probably closer to 3 miles or more out of Ranchester. The crew can see the second block signal west of Ranchester right now as they round this curve. From the height of this shot, I am guessing you shot it from the ranch road right near the crossing. Next time you make it to Wyoming, try it from the road, but closer to the highway which is about 40 ft away. It gives a nice shot down the hill and depending on the light you can see the small elevator in Ranchester. I have shot this locations probably a hundred times and seem to always find something new.

Media information

Category
Western United States
Added by
steveeshom
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back