Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CN GP38-2
While CP's GP38-2 are everywhere, in the yards, on branchline duty and on mainline trains, CN GP38-2's tend to hang around large yards, which are often enclosed, being mothers to special hump slugs. That's why I was very exited when CN sent a GP38-2 on a local along with the usual GP9RM slug power.
R
Like I said, they're mostly in large yards. CN does use widecab GP38-2(W)'s on branchline and occasionally mainline duty, but they're kind of rare to begin with, i.e. there's only a couple of them.

Oh there's more than a couple. 4700-35(GP38-2), 4760-4810(GP38-2W), and 7500-32(GP38-2 modified for hump yard service). Maybe only a couple in Saskatoon.

We have 3 GP38-2's in Vancouver that are used on the Westlang Switcher, Brownsville Job, and whatever else CN wants to use them on. Units are 4702, 4716, and 4718. We had a forth, 4709 but it "blew up" a few months ago and hasn't been seen since.

R
Thanks for the correction Tyler. I wrote that message and posted the photo back when I still lived in Winnipeg. After railfanning CN's mainline for two years I only managed to catch the GP38-2(W)'s four times! Thus they were rare at that time in Winnipeg. Here in Saskatoon they're very common actually, as well as in the Maritimes.

I caught 7522 because she is no long needed in winnipeg since they closed the hump down so they us her and 502 for the yard job on the west end of the siding

Media information

Category
Canadian National
Added by
Romet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back