Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CP Sutherland
R

CP Sutherland

CP 1501, a GP7u and GP9u are working the west lead from the yard. That's right, CP still uses GP7's for yard services by pairing them with GP9's.

The "mainline" is in the foreground.
Commentary is inaccurate, as Mile 11 indicates it's a GP7u and it may have been
the first or second GP7 rebuild but several GP9s, which had unique rear body modifications, were rebuilt before it.

I believe CP 1500-1511 are GP-7u's and the TH&B GP-7 rebuilds are CP 1682-1690

R
I'm so sorry guys. You're absolutely right, it is a GP7u. This is what happends when you don't railfan CP for a year and don't have the CTG handy. I've only seen 3 CP GP7u's before, so am not too good at telling them apart. Looking at its face I knew it wasn't the regular 15xx GP9u but I couldn't figure out what exactly it was. As for the THB GP7's, CP 1686 is just to the right of this photo. Thus that makes two GP7's in the yard. So much for the 21st century being high-tec.

I would not worry about it, the only way I know it's a GP-7u is by the numbers, without knowing the numbers I would think it's a GP-9u..
I like the GP-7u's they seem kinda 'rare' so nice catch

Not to drag this on but the GP7u's on CP are/were 1500-1511 (ex 8412, 8409, 8421, 8422, 8415, 8424, 8411, 8417, 8423, 8416, 8410 and 8418 respectively) and 1682-1687 (ex THB 72-77 respectively). Bodyside louvres are the easiest
method to differentiate the GP7 from GP9, the former has two rows of louvres
under the rear shutters but none, either two or three rows, between front and rear shutters. The GP9 has the opposite configuration.

R
Saw the same lash-up working there today, this time with an IMS stack. Just think about it, GP7 on an intermodal. I'll upload roster photos if I can make them look decent, as it was quite a windy day (gusts of 57km/h) thus making for blurry photography.

Media information

Category
Canada
Added by
Romet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back