Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CB&Q E7 9936A, Berwyn, IL, June 27, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler

CB&Q E7 9936A, Berwyn, IL, June 27, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler

Chicago Burlington & Quincy E7 9936A, Berwyn, Illinois, June 27, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler. Also seen in the distance is E8 9943A approaching the Berwyn station. This is a fortunate situation in that I generally took the train from Union Station, thus should have been aboard the approaching Dinky (CB&Q term for commuter train). I happened to be visiting my friend Chris in Oak Park, and usually would backtrack by riding the CTA elevated train back into Chicago for the connection to the Q and ultimately, back to Naperville where I lived. But I was running late, so I took the bus down to the Berwyn station, where I caught this scene.

I thought I could identify each train, but something is amiss in this shot. Looking at a 1965 calendar, this would be Sunday, which makes the Dinky a Sunday only all-stop train. I noted on the slide that the train led by 9936A is the Denver Zephyr. Here's the problem: according to my copy of the Employee's Timetable #10 in effect on this date, Train #1, The Denver Zephyr, departed Union Station at 5:00PM CST, and Train #225, the Sunday Only Dinky, departed at 5:01PM. Furthermore, the Dinky made five stops before arriving at Berwyn at 5:18. So, I am assuming the the DZ is running slightly late, not an unusual occurrence, especially in the summer, when often not only was it late departing, but sometime an overflow crowd of passengers would cause it to run in sections. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Here's a link to a photo shot a couple of seconds later of the arriving Dinky:

http://chuckzeiler.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1214337
Great shot - in fact, I'm enjoying all of your vintage photos.

But, judging by the shadows, woudn't these trains be heading into the city?

SteveO, the CB&Q (BN, BNSF) right of way out of Chicago to Aurora runs in a southwesterly direction. In the summer, the sun would be in this position, lighting up the engineers side of westbound trains. Another example of a westbound DZ lit on this side is at this link:

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/46274/ppuser/4207

Just looked at a map. While the general direction to Aurora is mostly west, the track does make a turn to SSW at Aurora. Along with the time of day, I now understand the shadows. :)

Media information

Category
Vintage Passenger Train Photos - Diesel Era
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back