Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Thursday's (5-2-18) Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was powered by two diesels, the second of which was a Cascades unit. The extra diesel may have been necessary due to a private California Zephyr type oval ended dome observation car on the end. No photos as three of my four cameras were in the shop and I was in the wrong position for the camera/lens combo that was in hand. :mad:

Thursday evening's (5-4-18) Seattle-Vancouver, BC Cascades.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Power was a Siemens Charger unit on the south (tt/west) end.
IMG_0004.jpg

After the Cascades left town, I could hear the approach of a southbound (tt/west) freight that had probably been waiting at MP 18. There is always a little suspense as to what may pass the viewing platform, but this came as a total surprise. o_O
IMG_0005.jpg

It has been a long, long time since I can remember seeing a B-B GE unit up here.
IMG_0006.jpg

The rest of the consist:

GP60B
IMG_0007.jpg

GP60M-3
IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:
The train looked like a local or transfer run based on the diesel lashup and the freight cars. If so, the Dash8-40B may remain in the area for awhile.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Nice A-B-A catch Bill!
There is really only one "local" train out of Richmond yard here, so we don't have a variety like that. I have never seen a B unit of any kind in Northern California.

Having grown up in the 50's, I like B units. GP60B's are assigned to both ends of Washington, operating locals out of Seattle and Spokane. The usual A unit is an EMD Geep. The GE unit is unusual and I hope it stays in the area for awhile.

There is really only one "local" train out of Richmond yard here, so we don't have a variety like that. I have never seen a B unit of any kind in Northern California.

You do have those unusual diesels on that short line that runs on the old SP west valley main line north of Davis.

Sunday's (5-6-18) Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) was once again powered by Genesis unit #4.
IMG_0001.jpg

Why can't I hold the camera level? :mad:
IMG_0002.jpg

Sound Transit runs specials for Sunday afternoon Mariner home games. It was probably a quiet ride back from Seattle as the Mariners were defeated by the Angels.
IMG_0003.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) freight had seven engines on the point.
IMG_0004.jpg

Monday (5-7-18) a southbound (tt/west) local powered by a pair of Geeps passed the marsh.

01.jpg

Later I went to Brackett's Landing North to set up for the afternoon passenger parade. The 4:30 Sounder had one of the new power units in the rear. The new units have four windshields vs three on the older units.
02.jpg

03.jpg

Heat waves made for lousy bird photography but artsy train photos.
04.jpg

Approaching Mukilteo. The boat is the Mukilteo-Clinton ferry.
05.jpg

The dispatcher squeezed in a coal train between the 4:30 and 5:00 Sounders.
06.jpg

The 4:30 Sounder and a southbound (tt/west) freight were visible across Brown's Bay as the coal train passed by.
07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

The coal train is stretched across Brown's Bay.
10.jpg

The freight had two Boeing 737 fuselages on the front.
11.jpg

It was held at MP 18 for the 5:00 Sounder, which continues to be powered by a Cascades unit.
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

The 5:00 Sounder continues north.
16.jpg

17.jpg

I stayed for the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8), then returned home.
18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

I just love the shots with water background. It is a beautiful place. When the sun does come out it is so nice.

Great Pics Bill! Good to see that bright thing in sky appeared for bit. There are two reasons for un level. Either one of your legs is shorter or the magnetic field of the earth is changing enough that your natural vertical is affected. Oh wait! It could be Global Warming.

I just love the shots with water background. It is a beautiful place. When the sun does come out it is so nice.

The sun is both a blessing and a curse. While the sunshine makes for a beautiful day, the heat waves radiating off the water and the mudflats at the marsh make for lousy photography.

Last edited:
Tuesday morning (5-8-18) at the marsh while my son was bowling. Morning is the best time to photograph trains at the marsh because the sun is at your back.

The morning Vancouver, BC-Seattle Cascades had power units on both ends, which is unusual.
01.jpg

02.jpg

The rear power was one of the new Siemens Charger units.
03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:
Next up was a northbound (tt/east) transfer(?) freight with a Back to the 90's lashup: 1469 (SD60M and one of the few Cascade green units remaining around here), 1664 (SD40-2), and 1406 (SD60M) .
05.jpg

06.jpg

It was followed by the Chicago-Seattle Empire Builder (Amtrak #7). Edmonds is the last station stop before #7 terminates at King Street Station.
07.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:
After the Builder was a southbound (tt/west) freight that featured a cool-numbered BNSF 1111 in H1 and a worn-out looking CN 4702 in zebra stripes.

IMG_0001.jpg

According to The Diesel Shop, 4702 is a GMD GP38-2, one of a series that was built between 11/72-1/73, my final year in college. It has interesting features such as the extended roof over the rear door and the CN style classification lights above the rear number boards. It is so old and beat up that I wonder if it is being transported somewhere to be scrapped or rebuilt.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I was not in position to get good shots of the head end power of this Canada bound coal train, but I am posting this shot of the rear DPU as I like the Olympic Mts. in the background.
IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Trains with interesting motive power passed the marsh Thursday (5-10-18).

A Canada bound coal train had an SD70 MAC in the lead. I seldom see one of these units leading a train anymore.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

A southbound (tt/west) freight had a UP unit in the rear DPU set. I seldm see any UP units on this line , but this is the third one I have seen pass through town in a month.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Friday afternoon (5-11-18) I was photographing one of our local eagles in action from the fishing pier when I saw a sailboat, the 5:00pm Sounder, and a southbound (tt/west) freight in the distance. It was a warm day by PNW standards and I had on a short-sleeved shirt even though a a brisk wind was blowing. Predictions are for a high of 80*F on Mothers Day, which I consider Nebraska weather.
IMG_0001.jpg

You can't see it from this angle, but the freight had a CSX unit in the consist. It got red-boarded at MP 18 for the Chicago bound Empire Builder
(Amtrak #8) and the 5:30pm Sounder.
IMG_0002.jpg

Saturday afternoon (5-12-18) was another warm, sunny day. I was looking into the afternoon sunshine, so the lighting was not great for the three northbound (tt/east) trains that passed by the marsh while I was photographing birds.

First up was the Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) with its rear marker lights on, which I assume was operator error.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back