New Rail Line in South Texas

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Here's some views from New Carmen Ave near San Pedro TX. This is the only public grade x-ing and the road only sees traffic from bird watchers going to a wildlife preserve. The tracks were rusty with a trace of hyrailer tread marks. I was afraid that I had missed a special train for the private ceremony, but the rails showed otherwise. They were extremely rusty.

DSCN3365.JPG DSCN3366.JPG
DSCN3367.JPG DSCN3368.JPG

Thanks for the update. Perhaps I'll get down there to photograph birds some future winter.

BTW, I love your avatar. The first house I owned was across the street from WP's South Sacramento yard. I have lots of slides of WP trains passing through Sacramento in the late 70's and early 80's.

Thanks for the update. Perhaps I'll get down there to photograph birds some future winter.

BTW, I love your avatar. The first house I owned was across the street from WP's South Sacramento yard. I have lots of slides of WP trains passing through Sacramento in the late 70's and early 80's.

The WP disappeared way too quickly for me as I was only 10 at the merger. It prompted me to pay more attention to the surviving rolling stock. I am thankful that I was able to see a bunch of WP cars in Texas and get some shots.

Yes come to South Texas for bird watching as they'll accommodate you in a mighty fine manner.

It's now in service as of 8-7-15

Well, UP is officially using the new line as of Aug 7, 2015. I caught a train heading to Mexico the following day. UP stated that the line will alleviate the city of Brownsville the burden of being bothered by excessive train delays (a whopping 6 trains a day). The UP train drove from the Olmito Yard to the Border and Customs Inspections facility. The crew then tied down the train having stopped short of the bridge that crosses the Rio Grande.

DSCN5768.JPG DSCN5790.JPG DSCN5794.JPG

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back